The Kentucky Derby is one of the world’s most famous horse races. Forming part of the US Triple Crown, the race was established back in 1875. Taking place annually on the opening Saturday in May, Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky plays host. Often described as “the most exciting two minutes in sport”, it should be no surprise that Kentucky Derby betting in the UK is also hugely popular as well as across the Atlantic.
Our Kentucky Derby betting guide will cover everything from available markets and odds to live streaming and mobile wagering. A prize pool of $3 million is up for grabs to those competing, with betting on Kentucky Derby offering players their chance to win big. Let’s get into our guide, starting with the best Kentucky Derby betting offers.
The Best UK Kentucky Derby Betting Sites for 2022
Bet £10 Get £60 in Bonuses
- Ante post Kentucky Derby markets
- Live horse racing streaming
- Paying 4 places ante post
Bet £10, Get £30 in Free Bets
- Useful horse racing promotions
- Competitive odds
- Generous free bet welcome offer
Get a Free Bet Up to £25 + 10 Free Spins
- Large number of horse racing promotions
- Horse racing live streaming
- Easy to use sportsbook
£10 Risk Free Bet
- Kentucky Derby specials
- Hugely experienced bookie
- Attractive horse racing odds
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free Bets
- Good number of Kentucky Derby markets
- Horse racing live streaming
- Competitive odds
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free Bets
- Mobile-based bookie
- Generous welcome offer
- A number of additional features
Bet £10 and Get a £20 Surprise Bet
- Supercharged odds
- Modern sportsbook platform
- Refer-a-friend scheme
Bet £10 Get £10 Free Bet
- Horse racing specialist
- Best odds guaranteed
- Regular free bets
Bet £10 Get £50 In Bet Credits
- Kentucky Derby live streaming
- Best odds guaranteed
- iOS & Android mobile apps
Kentucky Derby Betting Offers
Promotions can undoubtedly make betting on the Kentucky Derby more appealing. Meanwhile, some will even enhance your chances of profiting from the race. Check out the leading Kentucky Derby betting offers, which come from the leading horse racing betting sites in the UK.
- Betfred: Bet £10 Get £60 in Bonuses
- BetUK: Bet £10 Get £30 in Free Bets
- QuinnBet: Free Bet up to £25
- Paddy Power: £10 Risk Free Bet
- William Hill: Bet £10 Get £30 in Free Bets
- SBK: Deposit £10 Get £30 in Free Bets
- Kwiff: Bet £10 Get a £20 Surprise Bet
- BetGoodwin: Bet £10 Get a £10 Free Bet
- Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 in Bet Credits
- 2kBet: Bet £10 Get £30 in Free Bets
How to Select the Best Online Bookmakers for Betting on Kentucky Derby
Given the magnitude of the event, it should come as no shock that Kentucky Derby betting in the UK is available with a large number of online bookies. While it is nice to have options, it does ultimately make things a little more difficult for punters. So, how should you go about selecting the best bookie for the Kentucky Derby?
- Odds – Regardless of who you are backing, it is important to know that you are taking advantage of the very best Kentucky Derby betting odds. Despite being armed with the same information, bookies will have differing opinions in terms of how they price runners and riders. Whether you wish to place win bets or place/show wagers, be sure to you are taking advantage of the best odds. Of course, there is nothing stopping punters in signing up on a host of betting sites. Paddy Power is well-known for its generous horse racing betting odds.
- Promotions – Each of our top ranked betting sites feature some form of welcome offer. Meanwhile, ongoing promotions are also available to existing customers. These include best odds guaranteed, non-runner no bet and money back specials. It is the bonus terms and conditions which separate the best promos from the rest. With a variety of horse racing promotions, QuinnBet stands out in this area.
- Mobile – Kentucky Derby betting markets and features must be accessible on all platforms. This includes mobile and tablet. So, whether you are operating on iOS or Android, it should be simple to back your favourite. Many bookies have gone as far as developing dedicated betting apps. Betfred is one such bookie, with their app being efficient and easy to use, ideal for placing Kentucky Derby bets.
- Features – Kentucky Derby betting is enhanced by features found on betting sites. Bet builders, cash out options and live streaming are among the standout features to look out for. They are what helps to make online wagering more appealing than betting at Kentucky Derby racecourse itself. There are few better bookies in this area than Bet365!
- Banking – In order to place bets, punters must first deposit funds. A number of payment methods are available today. These include debit cards, e-wallets, prepaid cards and even cryptocurrencies. So, make sure that there is an option that suits your needs before signing up. With instant deposits and fast withdrawals, 2kBet is a good option for punters, among others.
Kentucky Derby Betting Markets
It is not simply the winner of the Kentucky Derby in which punters can bet on today. There are a good number of options, with the exact number of markets varying between bookies. The following are among the most popular:
Despite being difficult to predict, the most popular Kentucky Derby bet remains simple which horse will come out on top. 20 horses make up the race, with there generally being a clear favourite. However, this means relatively little, with so much potentially occurring out on the track.
For example, 21/1 shot Animal Kingdom shocked the world to win back in 2011. With this market, only the final result will determine whether your bet wins or loses. Of course, changes to the result can occur after all horses have reached the finishing line.
In order to give themselves some form of insurance, many will place each way bets on the Kentucky Derby. Available with all bookies, such bets are split into two parts. The first half of the stake goes on your pick winning the race. The other is placed on it placing, i.e. finishing in one of the top positions.
You may also wish to place a multiple bet on races taking place on the same day of the Kentucky Derby. A popular option is backing the winner of the Kentucky Derby and the Old Forester Turf Classic. Tricast and forecast are other popular alternatives.
Tote Betting on Kentucky Derby
As an alternative to fixed odds gambling, Tote betting is also available surrounding the Kentucky Derby. Here, winnings are paid from a cumulative pool. Each bet placed contributes to winnings, with all successful punters receiving their share. The fewer customers that backed a winner, the greater your earnings will be! Tote betting is especially popular on leading horse races, such as the Kentucky Derby. The following are the standout bookies for Kentucky Derby Tote betting:
Kentucky Derby Ante Post Betting
An increasing number of ante post bets are placed on the Kentucky Derby. Such bets are placed before the official race line-up has even been confirmed. This is because some bookies will introduce odds on the race months in advance. Many feel that this is the best time to bet, because of potential enhanced prices.
For example, following its win at Fair Grounds in February, many will have backed Epicenter. However, when placing an ante post bet, punters must recognise that their pick may not even line up on Kentucky Derby day. This is where non-runner no bet offers come into play!
Kentucky Derby Betting Odds 2022
Odds on the 2022 Kentucky Derby are constantly changing. They will do so right up until race day, based on a number of factors, trials results being one of the most important. Using our top ranked bookies, the following table shows how the Kentucky Derby odds look at this point in time:
|Kentucky Derby Bookies||Horse||Kentucky Derby Odds|
|William Hill||Mo Donegal||12/1|
How to Bet on the Kentucky Derby Online
Kentucky Derby betting online is relatively simple to get to grips with. However, it is still worth understanding the process before getting started. Using Betfred as an example, the following step by step guide will help punters along the way:
Step 1: Register
Having selected your chosen bookie, enter and open the registration form. Enter the required details, including your full name, email address and date of birth. New customers will also need to create a username and password at this stage. Read and accept the terms and conditions, as well as opt in to receive betting promotions. Click or tap on “Register” button and verify your account via email.
Step 2: Deposit
Login to your account using your username and password. Access the banking page, before selecting the “Deposit” option. Select your preferred payment method and enter the deposit amount. Depending on the method chosen, punters must then enter their card details or e-wallet login information. Confirm the deposit and wait a matter of seconds for cash to appear in your account.
Step 3: Browse Markets
Click or tap on the “Horse Racing” button, before accessing the Kentucky Derby. Look carefully at the available markets, including the odds on offer. Win and each way are the most popular markets, with ante post and pre-race odds being found.
Step 4: Place Bets
Having carried out the necessary research, add picks to your bet slip by clicking or tapping on the horse in question. Browse available bet types, as well as your potential returns. Confirm the stake and bet by selecting the “Place Bet” button.
Bet on the Kentucky Derby
There are a host of ways in which to bet on the Kentucky Derby. Some will be more familiar than others, with the following being perfect for those looking to wager on something a little different.
A Kentucky Derby & Oaks future wager will be the bet of choice for some. Such bets allow punters to wager on potential candidates, even before the official race line-up has been confirmed. This will generally be referred to as “Ante Post” with UK bookies. Such markets often come with larger odds, making them appealing.
This is a tool used by bookmakers in order to handicap runners and contextualise how well they have run in a particular race. Kentucky Derby runners tend to be found at around 90.
Kentucky Derby Live Stream & Live Commentary
The Kentucky Derby attracts millions of viewers from around the world. For those in the UK, the race is broadcast by SkySports. A small number of online bookies will also stream the race. This feature will be available to those registered, with a qualifying bet potentially being required too.
|Bookmaker||Stream Criteria||Visit Site|
|£1 qualifying bet||Watch at Paddy Power|
|Funded sportsbook account or £1 qualifying bet||Watch at Bet365|
|£1 qualifying bet||Watch at William Hill|
Best Betting Apps for Kentucky Derby
The best betting apps for Kentucky Derby make wagering on the race via a smartphone or tablet simple. Not only this, they feature the same number of markets, promotions and features as found on leading UK Kentucky Derby betting sites. This means that those signing up via an app will be in a position to claim a bookie’s welcome bonus. While not all bookies have chosen to invest time and money into an app, many have. Coming with enhanced speed and usability, the following apps are ideal for those looking to take advantage of Kentucky Derby betting today:
Kentucky Derby Festival Betting Guide
While Kentucky Derby betting is hugely popular, there are no guarantees that punters will make money. In fact, Kentucky Derby betting today is arguably more difficult than ever. However, there are some steps that punters can take in order to maximise their chances of being successful when betting on Kentucky Derby. Below are our top tips for Kentucky Derby races betting:
- Look Into Trials Results – In order to get their runners into prime condition ahead of the Kentucky Derby, trainers will enter their prized assets into trials races. Such trials include the Risen Star Stakes, Rebel Stakes, Gotham Stakes, Louisiana Derby, Wood Memorial Stakes and Lexington Stakes. Be sure to keep a close eye on who performs such races. The outcomes could well impact Kentucky Derby betting.
- Each Way Bets – Rather than placing outright win bets on the Kentucky Derby, it is often wiser to place each way bets. Here, half of the stake goes on win, with the other being on place. Such wagers provide punters with a certain level of insurance. The number of places paid out on will differ between Kentucky Derby betting sites.
- Do Your Homework – There is a ton of useful information surrounding the Kentucky Derby. This includes trainers, owners, going, past performances and age. Overlooking such details is a sure-fire way to throw your money away.
- Utilise Promotions – Horse racing promotions are easy to find online today. Many will be eligible for bets placed on the Kentucky Derby. Whether it be Best Odds Guaranteed, price boosts, non-runner no bet or faller insurance offers, they can help punters in maximising profits and minimising losses.
- Trust the Experts – Broadcasters, former jockeys, trainers and owners are likely to give their opinion on the Kentucky Derby ahead of the race. Meanwhile, certain other tipsters could also be worth following. While no one can guarantee picking a winner, it remains worthwhile reading and listening to the opinions of others within the horse racing industry.
What is the Kentucky Derby Festival?
The Kentucky Derby Festival is an event held across Louisville in the two weeks leading up to the big race. The event includes The Great Balloon Race, Pegasus Parade, Great Steamboat Race and a marathon, plus the Kentucky Oaks for three-year-old fillies the day before.
Concluding all the action in the Bluegrass State is the the Kentucky Derby itself, the biggest of 14 races at an epic meeting. The Turf Classic Stakes, another Grade 1 thoroughbred race only for older horses, is held immediately before the main event.
The Kentucky Derby is run over a distance of 1¼ miles with dirt, rather than the turf track, being used. Winners of the Kentucky Derby now receive $1.86 million in prize money. Bob Baffert jointly holds the record for the trainer with the most Kentucky Derby wins, with six. Meanwhile, Secretariat’s time of 1:59.4 back in 1973 remains the course record.
Having finished first past the post in 2019 and 2021 respectively, Maximum Security and Medina Spirit were ultimately disqualified. It is worth noting that there have been just two Triple Crown winners since 1978. These were American Pharoah in 2015 and Justify in 2018.The table below shows the winners of the race over the last decade:
|Year||Kentucky Derby Winner||Jockey||Trainer||Betting Odds|
|2021||Mandaloun||Florent Geroux||Brad Cox||25/1|
|2020||Authentic||John Velazquez||Bob Baffert||7/1|
|2019||Country House||Flavien Prat||William Mott||64/1|
|2018||Justify||Mike Smith||Bob Baffert||2/1|
|2017||Always Dreaming||John Velazquez||Todd Pletcher||4/1|
|2016||Nyquist||Mario Gutierrez||Doug O’Neill||2/1|
|2015||American Pharoah||Victor Espinoza||Bob Baffert||2/1|
|2014||California Chrome||Victor Espinoza||Art Sherman||2/1|
|2013||Orb||Joel Rosario||Claude McGaughey III||4/1|
|2012||I’ll Have Another||Mario Gutierrez||Doug O’Neill||14/1|
Kentucky Derby Festival 2022 Dates & Schedule
Kentucky Derby day is actually made up of a total of 14 races with seven of those holding Grade 1 or 2 status. All the action takes place on Saturday 7th May this year. However, there is one that ultimately stands out. So that you can plan your Kentucky Derby betting in advance, the following is a schedule for the 2022 card. All times British Summer Time (BST) with local time in the Bluegrass State five hours behind us in the UK:
- 5:36 – Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (Grade 2) for 4yo+ fillies and mares (Turf)
- 6:56 – Pat Day Mile (Grade 2) for 3yos (Dirt)
- 7:48 – Derby City Distaff Stakes (Grade 1) for 4yo+ fillies and mares over 7f (Dirt)
- 8:40 – American Turf Stakes (Grade 2) for 3yos over 1m ½f (Turf)
- 9:31 – Churchill Downs Stakes (Grade 1) for 4yo+ over 7f (Dirt)
- 10:27 – Turf Classic Stakes (Grade 1) for 4yo+ over 1m 1f (Turf)
- 11:57 – Kentucky Derby (Grade 1) for 3yos over 1m 2f (Dirt)
Kentucky Derby Trends & Tips You Should Know
Before you take a punt on one of America’s most famous horse racing events, and the equivalent of the UK’s Epsom Derby, there are some stats to learn about. While following Kentucky Derby trends can’t guarantee you back the winner, you should be able to make a more informed choice when betting:
A low draw, what they call post position stateside, seems to put Churchill Downs hopefuls at a major disadvantage. No Kentucky Derby winners this century have come out of lower than stall 4. The inside is not the place to be as jockeys struggle to maintain their position without causing interference.
It’s often the case that the reverse happens and horses drawn lower get hampered in the run. Around two-thirds of Kentucky Derby winners, 64 per cent to be precise, came out of stall 8 or higher. Horses with a middle-to-high draw are much more likely to get the clear run needed around the bends of Churchill Downs and that bit of luck to win.
Jockeys & Trainers
One jockey in particular, John Velazquez, has more wins in the Kentucky Derby than any other active rider. All three of his successes in The Run For The Roses have come since 2011.
With American racehorse trainers, the California barn of Bob Baffert is the stable to follow. He jointly holds the record for most Kentucky Derby winners with six. Baffert is currently brand from training horses, however.
In his enforced absence, it could be worth looking at Todd Pletcher who has more than one win in recent years. He saddles a three-pronged attack at a third Kentucky Derby success since 2010 this season with Mo Donegal the pick of his trio, according to the betting.
Doug O’Neill is another dual winner of the big one at Churchill Downs. Happy Jack, a relative outsider, is his sole representative in this race this time around. When betting on the Kentucky Derby, you want connections that know what it takes to land the spoils.
Last Start Winners
It almost goes without saying that, in a race of this magnitude, horses should be coming to Churchill Downs with a win under their belts. Even if they don’t warm up for the Kentucky Derby with victory, then they should at least run well in defeat and here’s why.
Trends clearly speak in favour of last time out scorer. Nine of the last 11 Kentucky Derby winners, that’s 81 per cent, tasted victory when getting ready for the big race. This stat includes eight consecutive winners all doubling up from their final prep run between 2011 and 2018.
Two Key Derby Trials
Recent history shows two races as the ideal prep for the Kentucky Derby. First of all, the Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park has thrown up six winners since 2001, a 30 per cent success rate.
Down the other coast of America in California, the Santa Anita Derby saw three winners and a second all go on to land the Kentucky Derby since 2012. They are clearly the best trials among many in various US states, so follow the form closely.
We’re often telling you to take on the favourite on UK horse racing betting sites, but the stats suggest a different approach to this big race across the Atlantic. If you had backed all the most fancied runners in the Kentucky Derby betting from 2008 onwards, they have a 50 per cent strike rate over that period.
In other words, over the last 14 years, seven favourites have obliged and justified their place at the head of market. This fifth and final one of our Kentucky Derby trends is helped somewhat by six shortest-price runners winning consecutively between 2013 and 2018.
Kentucky Derby Payouts History
When working out what bet to place, be sure to consider the potential 2022 Kentucky Derby payouts. For example, a win payout on 2021 winner Medina Spirit was worth $26.20. This is compared to 2019, when Country House’s payout for the same market ended up being worth $132.40. The table below shows the Kentucky Derby payouts over the last 10 years:
|2012||I’ll Have Another||$32.60||$13.80||$9.00|
Bottom Line on Kentucky Derby 2022 Betting
Alongside the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes, the Kentucky Derby is part of the Triple Crown in American horse racing. While action on the track is hugely competitive, the battle between punters and bookmakers is equally compelling. Hoping to back a winner in the Kentucky Derby betting in the UK?
Our recommended Kentucky Derby betting sites are well worth taking advantage of. Our Kentucky Derby betting guide has delivered everything there is to know. So, whether it be Kentucky Derby ante post betting or betting on Kentucky Derby on race day, we have all bases covered. Be sure to take advantage of the best betting Kentucky Derby promotions in the process!
Our Best Rated Kentucky Derby Betting Site in the UK
Betting on Kentucky Derby FAQs
- Kwiff UK 🥇 (9.7 / 10 Points)
- BetUK UK 🥈 (9.7 / 10 Points)
- Betfred UK 🥉 (9.7 / 10 Points)
- 2kBet UK (9.6 / 10 Points)