With less than a fortnight remaining in the winter transfer window. Manchester United are surely expected to address their defensive concerns as they aim to finish in the top four this season.
The Red Devils have been linked with Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels but the German is not expected to move till he summer. Meanwhile, renowned Spanish journalist Guillem Balague reported that the Old Trafford side had a €35m bid for Nikolas Otamendi rejected by Valencia in the past few days.
A couple of transfer stories: MUFC made a €35m offer for Otamendi that has been rejected. More on @revistadelaliga 6pm today
— Guillem Balague (@GuillemBalague) January 19, 2015
However, according to reports from Italian media outlet TMW, United are now believed to have turned their attention to Dinamo Kiev’s Austrian defender Aleksander Dragovic. The report has cited Austrian media outlet Kroner Zeitung citing that the 23 year old could make the move in a €20m deal.
Another Austrian outlet SportNet has also reported that there is definite interest from United for the player but whether a move materializes remains to be seen. The 23 year old had a brilliant spell for FC Basel winning the Swiss League thrice and has been in fine form for Dinamo Kiev since his move. In 2012, Dragovic was declared the Swiss Golden Player Award for the Best Defender.
Making a move to United would certainly be the highlight of his career but it remains to be seen if the Red Devils hierarchy are willing to take a risk and sign a player who is vastly inexperienced for €20m.
Dragovic also features regularly in his national side and had said earlier that he wants to follow in the footsteps of Nemanja Vidic back in 2013. In an interview with TMW (relayed by the Daily Express), the defender had said, ” I dream to play in England. I hope to retrace the steps and the career of my model Nemanja Vidic of Manchester United.”