Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is that Sam Allardyce has been given a £50M war chest to bring in new players. He will be supported in this over the next two months by Freddy Shepherd and new Vice-Chairman Chris Mort. Given that Sam has brought in three good players for a net outlay of £1.8M and is after Habib Beye now for £2M – one wonders what he can do with £50M – or even £40M
- Here’s our piece on the outcome of yesterday’s board meeting at Newcastle. Allardcye will be given up to £50M in transfer funds and it looks like Freddy Shepherd’s tenure at Newcastle will only last a few more months. Sam will now report to Mort – who will take over the day to day activities of the club. This piece focuses on the management side of the club following yesterday’s decisions.
- News from yesterday’s meeting is that Sam’s key back-room staff from Bolton – Mark Taylor and Mike Forde will soon be joining Sam at Newcastle. Hopefully they can work their magic with reducing the injuries that have always plagued Newcastle – especially over the last two seasons. This will be key for next season – that we can somehow control these injuries – and understand why they occur.
- It certainly looks like it’s full steam ahead on the transfer market for Newcastle. The next target seems to be Habib Beye – from Marseilles – who is valued at £2M. Sam has the go ahead to speak to Habib – and he would be excellent signing for us and can play right back or center back. We had a piece on Habib yesterday on this site.
- A long piece in the Journal by Paul Gilder on all the many events that seem to have happened since yesterday. Paul covers multiple topics in this piece and it’s worth a read. This includes the transfer of Rozehnal – who is expected to be introduced as a Newcastle player some time today. We believe the fee for Rozehnal was a low £2.7M.
Newcastle’s David Rozehnal
- Finally here’s some quotes that miss whatever they were trying to say – to lighten up the day.
“I would not say he (David Ginola) is the best left winger in the Premiership, but there are none better.” (Ron Atkinson)
“He dribbles a lot and the opposition don’t like it – you can see it all over their faces.” (Ron Atkinson)
“Ardiles strokes the ball like it is part of his own anatomy. ” (Jimmy Magee,)
Ron Atkinson (is his face wet?)
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.