Manchester United’s blockbuster signing Paul Pogba will miss the Premier League’s opening day fixture against Bournemouth due to suspension, the Football Association has revealed.
The 23-year-old midfielder re-joined the Old Trafford outfit on Tuesday for a record breaking transfer fee of £89 million and Man Utd fans were hopeful that Pogba could make his debut when the Red Devils visit Bournemouth in an early lunchtime kickoff on Sunday.
But the FA have declared that the France International will miss Man Utd’s opening day fixture due to the bookings he received in last season’s Coppa Italia.
With the #PLkickoff this weekend, did you know four players are serving suspensions?
— England Football (@EnglandFootball) August 12, 2016
The FA said: “He was booked twice in last season’s Coppa Italia, which results in a one-game ban. This has been transferred to England.”
Pogba’s suspension relates to two yellow cards issued in last season’s Coppa Italia, in both the semi-final victory over Internazionale as well as the final against AC Milan.
Pogba, who will now miss the Premier League opener against Bournemouth alongside his teammate Chris Smalling, is now likely to make his debut in Man Utd’s first home game of the season against Southampton next Friday.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 12, 2016
Speaking at his press conference on Friday ahead of the trip to the Vitality Stadium, Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho revealed that he had been waiting for the decision since he knew about the bookings Pogba received during his final few games for Juventus.
Mourinho said: “I don’t speak about him [Pogba]. He is suspended. I don’t speak about the ones that are not ready to play, so I forget Paul for a few days. Tuesday he will be ready to play against Southampton.