Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is that we are after Maceo Rigters – the NAC Breda and Dutch Under-21 striker. Presumably Newcastle have already lodged a bid for the striker.
His contract is said to allow him to go for a nominal fee – a few hundred thousand pounds. We also expect the Edmilson deal to go through in the next day or two since the Newcastle medical team are now satisfied the Brazilian’s knee will recover 100%.
- We report today on the news that Newcastle (and Blackburn Rovers) have lodged bids for Dutch Under-21 striker Maceo Rigters of NAC Breda. Celtic had initially been thought to be favorites to sign the 23 year-old but may now miss out. We update the story from a few weeks back – but are not sure why we would sign Rigters. We assume this is a back-up position for Owen or Martins leaving. Since Sam has already stated he thinks Owen is staying then if Martins is leaving. However – we expect Sam to press both of them next week on their intentions at Newcastle. That can help Sam stop some wasted tracking of strikers if indeed they are staying. We hope that is what happens
- We have an update on the Edmilson situation and report that a Newcastle contingent will again meet with Barcelona officials to tie up the deal with Edmilson imminently. The news is that the Newcastle medical team have reviewed Edmilson’s medical situation and records and believe he will be fully fit in November. Newcastle will either sign him now or arrange to get him on January 1st at a lower fee. However the fee is though to be in the â‚¤1.5M – â‚¤3M mark or even less.The excessive wage demands of Edmilson reported last week seem to be a little unfounded in that he is supposedly already getting 80K/week at the Nou Camp. We think this one is almost in the bag barring unforeseen events.
- People Sport have conducted a lengthy interview with Sam Allardyce and we express our own comments on what he had to say. Naturally Sam is asking for patience from everybody at the club – but unless we get some signs that things are on the right path that may be difficult. Newcastle fans are not known for being particularly patient after so many years on non achievement. But it’s a good interview and – as usual – Sam makes some really good points.
- We also run a piece from several interviews Sam has given on his training methods and the Little Benton world class training facilities. Sam also also talked about Kieron Dyer and blasted rumors that Dyer will leave the club. Hope Sam can now get the best out of Dyer – someone needs to – and Kieron owes Newcastle big time – and he knows it.
- Finally here’s some quotes from the football world to lighten up the day. 😀
‘He went through a non-existent gap.’ — Clive Tyldesley
‘The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.’ – Barry Davies
‘Goalkeepers aren’t born today until they’re in their late twenties or thirties.’ — Kevin Keegan
‘When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.’ – Bill Shankly
We always appreciate your comments on these stories.