Home News minnows looking to history for cup boost

Five Great FA Cup Second Round Upsets



We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, when clicking on those we might receive a commission – at no extra cost to you. By using this website you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.

This weekend sees the second round of the FA Cup take place, and with the big sides entering the draw at the next stage, the chances of a dream money-spinning tie are within sight.

With thirteen non-league sides in action over the weekend, all eyes will be on potential shocks, with hopes of a third round trip to Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge looming large. First round giant-killers Droylsden, Blyth Spartans and Histon will be looking to pull off further surprises after being handed tough ties. And as history shows, they have every chance.

Here are five of the recent great second round FA Cup shocks:

Emley 3-3 Lincoln City (Emley won 4-3 on penalties), 17th December 1997, Second Round Replay

A club from a little village in West Yorkshire, Emley made national headlines after stunning Lincoln to make the third round.

Having beaten Morecambe on penalties, the Unibond Premier League side were drawn away in round two to the Imps, top of Division Three at the time.

And the minnows looked to have caused a major shock when they led 2-1 at Sincil Bank, only for Lincoln equalise in the seventh minute of injury time and force a replay.

Held at Huddersfield’s McAlpine Stadium, the game appeared a bridge too far for the part-timers, with Lincoln cruising into a two-goal lead. But two goals in the last fifteen minutes forced extra time, and when captain Steve Nicholson scored from the penalty spot, Emley looked set for a lucrative away trip to Premiership West Ham. But a late equaliser forced penalties, and goalkeeper Chris Marples, who saved three spot-kicks in the first round shootout, became the hero once again. He saved twice to seal one of the FA Cup’s great triumphs.

Emley’s trip to Upton Park ended in a 2-1 defeat, but their run was proof of the romance of the cup.

Blackpool 0-1 Yeovil Town, 10th December 2000

Conference side Yeovil had a notorious history as giant-killers ever since beating Sunderland back in the 1948-49 season. And after thrashing Division Two side Colchester 5-1 at their Huish Park home, the Glovers were handed a tricky away tie at Division Three club Blackpool.

Colin Addison’s men travelled to Bloomfield Road in confident mood, and a goal on the stroke of half time from midfielder Nick Crittenden proved enough to add another victim to Yeovil’s growing list of conquests.

Their run was eventually ended in the next round by Bolton thanks to a last-gasp Michael Ricketts goal.

Canvey Island 1-0 Northampton, 9th December 2001

Isthmian Premier League side Canvey Island were starting to build up a giant-killing reputation when Division Two Northampton travelled to Park Lane.

Jeff King’s side had dumped out Wigan in the first round to add to their win over Port Vale from the previous year, and were intent on making it a hat-trick of scalps.

And they made sure the Cobblers joined the casualties thanks to a solitary goal from striker Neil Gregory.

The former Ipswich man’s second winner in as many rounds earned a third round tie away to Division One Burnley. But the extra step up in class proved too much for the Yellow Army, as they fell to a 4-1 defeat.

Telford United 3-0 Brentford, 6th December 2003

Conference club Telford stunned many neutrals when they thumped Division Two Brentford at the New Bucks Head.

The visitors entered the game on the back of some poor league form, and The Bucks took full advantage. Striker Christian Moore was the hero of the hour, firing an impressive treble to book a place in round three.

Telford continued their exploits by beating Division One side Crewe, before bowing out in the fourth round to eventual finalists Millwall.

Chasetown 1-0 Port Vale, 11th December 2007, Second Round replay

Chasetown became the lowest ranked side to ever reach the third round after pulling off one of the greatest FA Cup shocks by defeating League One side Port Vale.

After holding the Valiants to a 1-1 draw at Vale Park, the Southern League Division One Midlands side looked to have missed their chance.

But in the replay at the Scholars Ground, Vale striker Luke Rodgers missed twice from the penalty spot, and the visitors were made to pay. Substitute Danny Smith was the hero, netting just a minute from time to cause an almighty shock.

Chasetown lost in round three to eventual runners-up Cardiff, but the run was enough for two players, Kyle Perry and Chris Slater, to earn professional deals with their second round victims.