According to The Athletic’s Jordan Campbell, Rangers quartet James Tavernier, Steven Davis, Ryan Jack and Allan McGregor were the driving forces behind Rangers’ decision to defer wages.
The Light Blues’ players, coaching staff and executive directors are set to see a 50% reduction in their wages for the next three months as a result of the financial constraints the coronavirus pandemic have put on football clubs in Europe.
Rangers have decided to place most of their non-playing staff on furlough as they look to make use of the government job retention scheme.
This will see the government cover 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month before tax, while Rangers will top up the remaining 20%.
With the match income from their three remaining league home games and the potential £2.4 million prize money they will get for finishing second not forthcoming due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Ibrox outfit have been forced to take actions in order to save their finances.
Scott Arfield, Connor Goldson and Andy Halliday are also said to have been involved at a later stage in the process while the financial models and individual repayment plans were worked out, and the decision received unanimous backing from the rest of the squad and the board.