Manchester United’s out-of-favor midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has been told by Bayern Munich that they are willing to take him back if he leaves Old Trafford this summer, the Sky Sports report.
The 32-year-old has been reportedly banished to Man Utd’s reserve team’s dressing room after Jose Mourinho identified the German International surplus to requirement in his plans for the Premier League giants.
Schweinsteiger joined Man Utd only last summer but spent several weeks out on the sidelines to recover from his long-sustained knee injury, making just 13 league appearances last season.
And despite having two more years on his contract with the Red Devils, the World Cup winner appears poised to leave the Old Trafford outfit this summer.
— Tobi Schweinsteiger (@tobits7) August 1, 2016
Bastian’s brother Tobias Schweinsteiger, a youth team coach at Bayern Munich, tweeted “no respect” on Monday to accuse the new Red Devils’ boss Jose Mourinho for his treatment of the German midfielder.
Schweinsteiger has been taunted to be the most high-profile victim of Mourinho’s arrival at Man Utd and despite having concerns over his injury problems, Bayern Munich have opened the door for their former midfield maestro for a potential return to the Bavarian club this summer.
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Sport Bild: “Should he speak at some point about a desire to return, then we will discuss it with him.”
Schweinsteiger, who announced his retirement from international football last week, won eight Bundesliga titles and seven German Cups since coming through the ranks of Bayern Munich as a teenager.
The veteran midfielder has reportedly attracted interest from Paris Saint-Germain and Besiktas and Man Utd’s proposed record-breaking signing of French midfielder Paul Pogba could all but end Schweinsteiger’s ill-fated spell in the Premier League.