Jose Mourinho has been known to be doing things the weird ways throughout his managerial career. After reports emerged earlier last week that he is interested in Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus, the Portuguese has ruled out a move for the German star.
Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s Champions League clash against Schalke, Mourinho said as quoted by Daily Mail:
“We don’t want Marco Reus. The market is closed and the player belongs to Borussia. We have top players in this position. No secrets, I have a fantastic relationship with the Dortmund coach and sporting director.”
Reus has been a transfer target for a majority of Premier League giants including both the Manchester sides and Liverpool. Reus has also been linked with reigning European Champions Real Madrid and it is believed that the 25 year old will have a £20m transfer release clause kick in his contract in the coming summer.
It will thus lead to a mad scramble among clubs who are desperate to acquire his services. Dortmund would be desperate to keep hold of their prized asset but they have been helpless over the past couple of years; selling Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski to Bayern Munich.
So is it right for Chelsea for rule themselves out for one of Europe’s hottest young prospects?
There is no doubt that Reus would easily walk into the Chelsea starting eleven thanks to his immaculate ability of running with the ball, making spaces for others and also hitting the back of the net frequently at will. But it his frequent injuries that is a huge concern. Reus missed the World Cup thanks to a devastating ankle injury and has also been ruled out till the new year after tearing his ligaments in his right ankle on Saturday during Dortmund’s 2-2 draw against Paderborn.
Dortmund chairman Hans-Joachim Watzke said: “How much bad luck can you have?” Dortmund have also been in poor form this season in the Bundesliga and are shockingly third from bottom with just three wins from 12 league games.