Home News classic celtic v rangers scottish cup 1980 final

Classic Celtic v Rangers – Scottish Cup 1980 Final



We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, when clicking on those we might receive a commission – at no extra cost to you. By using this website you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Celtic visit Rangers this Sunday in a top of the table clash even though Celtic have opened up a 6 point lead going into October.

In the build up to this Sunday’s game, we step back into the Archives on May 10 1980 and look at a classic Old Firm clash – the 1980 Scottish Cup Final where Rangers were taking on their foes Celtic in which was to be a top class battle at Hampden Park.

The Rangers left it late to beat Aberdeen to get through to the final whilst Celtic done it pretty easy verse Hibernian smashing then 5-0. Every single player in both line-ups were Scottish besides Celtic keeper Peter Latchford who was from England. Although the game was not a classic it was the action after the match that turned this battle into a memorable match.

Celtic dominated the first half with Celtic midfielder Murdo MacLeod having a good oppurtunity in the first half however his shot went wide. Celtic were consistently peppering the Rangers goal but Rangers did have one oppurtunity in the first half and it fell to key midfielder Derek Johnstone but the show went over the bar. Both teams went into the break as they started, 0-0.

The second half started and again Celtic were finding it hard to contain Rangers midfielder Johnstone as he created many chances for himself and other team mates in the second half. It was a complete reversal from Rangers after containing Celtic and absorbing pressure in the first half it was them who were mounting pressure, but like the Rangers in the first half Celtic contained Rangers and there key midfielder Johnstone.

Both teams tried to snatch the game late on but again it was 0-0 and thats the way it stayed at full time, so it was off to extra time. It was again Johnstone who created havoc for opposition defenders coming from the midfield, he latched on to a chance created from a great ball by substitute Tommy McLean, but all the pressure Rangers were mounting kept falling to nothing.

It had to go to a second bout of extra time, although it came late Celtic managed to create the breakthrough, with defender Danny McGrains shot ricocheting off striker George McCluskey from Celtic, the goal was deemed McCluskey’s. The deflection fooled Rangers keeper Peter McCloy, however he did get a hand to it, it was too late and the ball was in the back of the net. The match ended and it was 1-0 to Celtic and Danny McGrain held the Scottish Cup aloft.

That was the end of the match, but not the rivalry, fans from both teams invaded the field with Rangers and Celtic supporters throwing missiles and anything they could find at their opposition supporters. Police tried to take control of the matter but it was no use, they couldn’t settle the supporters and it was a period of madness. However it did all settle down and the matter was put to rest, but at the end of the day Celtic won this derby match 1-0.

Rangers v Celtic Predictions:

Well hopefully the fans won’t be that bad this weekend, but my tip is with the Rangers, I think the homecrowd will get them over the line, it what will hopefully be a great match.