This guide to Michigan online sports betting covers everything you need to start wagering in The Great Lake State. Scroll down for rankings and reviews of the top MI-facing bookmakers, an overview of legal betting services in the state, and a step-by-step guide to getting started with online sports betting in Michigan.
50% match deposit bonus worth up to $1,000
- Huge Range of Sports Markets
- Live In-Game Betting
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
100% deposit match up to $500
- Biggest Range of Sports
- Top Horse Racing Sportsbook
- Seamless Payments & Payouts
100% deposit match up to $1,000
- HD Quality Live Streaming
- Accepts Major Cryptocurrencies
- Top Parlay Builder
100% deposit match welcome bonus of up to $1,000
- Top Contests & Promotions
- Supports parlays, teasers and if bets
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
Up to $2,500 with a 125% deposit match (100% sports bonus and 25% casino bonus)
- Biggest Bonus Offering
- Parlay Builder For Complex Bets
- 24/7 Customer Support
Up To $150 Sign Up Bonus
- Top Quality Mobile Betting App
- High Limit Sportsbook
- Fast Payouts
50% deposit match up to $1000
- Top All-In-One Gambling Site
- Many Betting Options & Promotions
- All US Customers Accepted
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Best Reload Bonus
- In-Play Betting
- 10% Weekly Rebate on Horse Racing
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Reputable Sportsbook
- Impressive VIP Program
- Casino & Racebook Bets
The Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites List 2022
We conducted rigorous reviews and comparisons to compile the following list of the best Michigan online sports betting sites. To stay relevant, we update this list regularly to reflect changes in promotions and service quality.
- BetOnline – Best Michigan online sports betting site overall
- XBet – great variety of recurring bonuses in MI
- Bovada – best Michigan sports betting app
- MyBookie – great for Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency deposits
- BetUS – top welcome bonuses for Michigan online betting
- Intertops – high-value betting lines
- Sportsbetting.ag – excellent for football betting
- BetNow – top Michigan sportsbook for NFL
- GT Bets – broad selection of competitive odds
- BUSR – best customer support among Michigan sportsbooks
Is Sports Betting Legal in Michigan?
Yes. Michigan is among the most progressive states regarding land-based and offline gambling. More than a dozen sites are licensed to offer online betting in Michigan. The combined monthly revenues for all state-regulated online betting sites top $20 million, so we expect new platforms to mushroom over the coming years and competition for players’ business to intensify.l
Online Sportsbooks in Michigan
Online sports betting is legal in Michigan. The first online platforms went live in late January of 2021 and have attracted tens of millions of dollars in wagers since. Sports betting providers partner with land-based casinos in the state to offer their services online. Legal online sportsbooks in MI include but aren’t limited to, FanDuel, BetMGM, BetRivers, PointsBet, Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, WynnBet, Golden Nugget, Barstool, BetAmerica, Caesars, and Fox. Combined, these providers offer you the ability to wager on just about every competitive sport and betting market worldwide.
Furthermore, Michigan doesn’t have laws that criminalize or prohibit betting with an offshore sportsbook. MI residents are indeed spoiled for choice.
Around twenty brick-and-mortar casinos in Michigan offer retail sports betting services:
- River Rock Sportsbook at Little River Casino & Resort in Manistee
- BetMGM Sports Longue at MGM Grand Detroit in Detroit
- WynnBET At Kewadin Casino Sault Ste. Marie in Sault Ste. Marie
- WynnBET At Kewadin Casino Christmas in Christmas
- Stage 131 Sportsbook & Lounge At Gun Lake Casino in Wayland
- FanDuel sportsbook at MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit
- Odawa Casino Resort Petoskey (Kiosk) in Petoskey
- TwinSpires At Island Casino Resort in Harris
- Four Winds Sportsbook in New Buffalo
- Odawa Casino Mackinaw City (Kiosk) in Mackinaw City
- Onyx Sports Book By Caesars Sportsbook at Turtle Creek Casino & Hotel in Williamsburg
- WynnBET At Kewadin Casino Manistique in Manistique
- Dacey’s Sportsbook At FireKeepers Casino & Hotel in Battle Creek
- Onyx Sports Book By William Hill At Leelanau Sands Casino & Lodge in Peshawbestown
- DraftKings Sportsbook At Bay Mills Resort & Casinos in Brimley
- WynnBET At Kewadin Casino St. Ignace in St. Ignace
- WynnBET At Kewadin Casino Hessel in Hessel
- Barstool Sportsbook At Greektown Casino in Detroit
Michigan Horse Racing & Off Track Betting
Michigan horse race betting was regulated in 1995 with the introduction of the Horse Racing Law Act. Pari-mutuel betting on live races and simulcasts is available on several tracks. However, Northville Downs is the only Michigan track that offers a reasonable service when it comes to simulcasting. Unfortunately, MI doesn’t have too many off-track betting venues (OTBs), so if you’re up for land-based action, Northville Downs is your only reasonable choice.
There are several online horse race betting opportunities for Michigan residents. First, you can use the racebook hosted by any state-licensed or offshore bookie. Second, MI has legalized advance-deposit wagering (ADW) applications, such as TVG, XpressBet, DRF Bets, and AmWager.
Michigan Sports Betting Legislation Timeline
- 2015: H 4469 and H 4670, the state’s first sports betting bills, are introduced by representative Robert Kosowski. If passed, the bills would have made sports betting available at all brick-and-mortar casinos and made simulcast horse race betting legal. Both bills failed in committee.
- 2016: Undeterred, Robert Kosowski introduces bill H 5825 to legalize sports betting at various commercial non-casino venues. The bill meets the fate of its 2015 predecessors.
- 2017: Representative Brand Iden proposes bill H 4926 that includes, among other things, provisions for legal sports betting. H4926 becomes the first wagering bill to pass committee. Unfortunately, it’s later vetoed by Governor Rick Snyder.
- 2019: Governor G. Whitmer signs bills that make online sports betting and DFS legal statewide.
- 2020: The Covid-19 pandemic stalled the rollout of retail sports betting.
- 2021: Michigan online sports betting goes live in January. State residents wager more than $100 million during the first ten days alone.
Offshore Betting in Michigan
As mentioned earlier, offshore betting sites are not illegal in MI. Thousands of players sign up and wager with reputable overseas sportsbooks in Michigan, and so far, none have been prosecuted or fined. The advantages to offshore bookies over locally licensed ones include better welcome bonuses and access to a broader variety of markets and odds.
On the flip side, offshore bookies can be riskier to sign up with, so choosing wisely is essential. Ensure your selected bookie holds a license from a reputable jurisdiction, such as Panama, Costa Rica, or the European Union. Read online reviews and rankings to verify that the offshore Michigan sports betting site you consider pays on time and settles wagers without delay.
The fastest way to start betting safely with the best offshore sportsbooks in Michigan is to select a provider from our rankings above. We update our list whenever vital information about a bookie’s practices and services comes to light.
Michigan Daily Fantasy Sports
Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed a set of gambling bills in 2019 that made daily fantasy sports legal. DFS fans in Michigan generate around 4% of the country’s DFS revenues, so this is another market where growth and competition are inevitable.
DFS operators licensed in MI incur an 8.4% tax, making the state an attractive hub for relevant businesses. Daily fantasy sports providers you can access from Michigan include DraftKings, FanDuel, Yahoo! Fantasy Sports, Fantasy Football Players Championship, Fantasy Sports Shark, SportsHub Games Network, and FullTime Fantasy Sports.
Combined, the sites above generate over $2,000,000 in adjusted revenue per month, adding close to $190,000 to the state’s treasury.
Casino Laws in Michigan
State laws allow gambling at about two dozen tribal casinos on Native American land and three commercial casinos. Betting on horse races at licensed tracks, bingo, and minor types of gambling at bowling alleys and similar venues are also permitted. There’s also the Michigan Lottery, and the state is part of multi-state drawings such as the Powerball and Mega Millions.
Online gambling is legal as well, including online casinos and poker rooms.
State-licensed commercial casinos include:
- MotorCity Casino
- Greektown Casino
- MGM Grand Detroit
Tribal casinos ran by the state’s twelve Native American tribes include:
- Ojibwa Casino Resort – Baraga (Baraga, MI)
- Four Winds New Buffalo (New Buffalo, MI)
- Saganing Eagles Landing Casino (Standish, MI)
- Odawa Casino Resort (Petoskey, MI)
- Ojibwa Casino – Marquette (Marquette, MI)
- Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort (Mt. Pleasant, MI)
- Four Winds Hartford (Hartford, MI)
- Gun Lake Casino (Wayland, MI)
- Kewadin Shores Casino – St. Ignace (St Ignace, MI)
- Turtle Creek Casino and Hotel (Williamsburg, MI)
- Bay Mills Resort & Casino (Brimley, MI)
- Kewadin Casino – Christmas (Christmas, MI)
- Kings Club Casino (Brimley, MI)
- Kewadin Casino, Hotel and Convention Center (Sault Sainte Marie, MI)
- Northern Waters Casino Resort (Watersmeet, MI)
- Leelanau Sands Casino (Suttons Bay, MI)
- Four Winds Dowagiac (Dowagiac, MI)
- Kewadin Casino – Manistique (Manistique, MI)
- Island Resort & Casino (Bark River, MI)
- Kewadin Casino – Hessel (Hessel, MI)
- Little River Casino and Resort (Manistee, MI)
- FireKeepers Casino Hotel (Battle Creek, MI)
Online casinos in Michigan have been legal since 2019. More than a dozen providers are regulated in the state, among them Golden Nugget, Caesars, BetMGM, DraftKings Casino, FanDuel Casino, WynnBET, Stars, BetRivers, and Barstool. All are optimized for tablets and smartphones running iOS and Android operating systems. The great thing about state-licensed sportsbooks is that most offer a no-deposit sign-up bonus between $25 to $60 to attract new customers.
Games available at Michigan online casinos range from classic and progressive-jackpot slots, through blackjack, roulette, and video poker, to high-definition live dealer tables that bring the thrill of land-based gambling to your screen.
Importantly, offshore online casinos are not illegal in MI. So if you’re looking for industry-leading first-deposit and redeposit bonuses or a wider variety of games, consult our top Michigan online gambling sites rankings above.
Michigan Gambling Tax
All gambling winnings in Michigan are subject to the state’s 4.25% flat income tax rate. On top of that, you’re required to pay and declare a 24% federal tax. Your sportsbook, pari-mutuel provider, or casino should withhold applicable federal taxes and submit them to the IRS on your behalf; you should also receive a W-2G form for confirmation. Please remember that responsibility for paying and declaring taxes to the IRS is on you, so make sure your gambling establishment fulfill its obligations.
If the casino or sportsbooks in Michigan you play at don’t have your SSN on file, it may withhold up to 28% for federal taxes.
Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
1. BetOnline – Best Michigan online sports betting site overall
The reputable and safe BetOnline is #1 on our list of top Michigan online sportsbooks. Bettors can look forward to betting on 20+ sports and take advantage of in-play and pre-game markets.
Michigan residents who opt to use this sportsbook will not be disappointed with the market selection. In addition to all the standard markets, the site offers “if” bets, teasers, and various other exotic wagers. Bettors enjoy excellent odds and early cash-outs on some live bets.
BetOnline allows users to sign up on desktop and mobile. The sports betting site offers a 50% match first deposit bonus up to $1,000. To withdraw any potential winnings, you must meet the wagering requirement on wagers that carry odds of 2:1 or more. You can trigger this welcome offer by entering the BetOnline bonus code BOL1000 when making your first deposit.
What we like: What we don’t:
What we like:
What we don’t:
2. XBet – Geat variety of recurring bonuses in MI
XBet is an intuitive sports betting site that even novices can get the hang of in no time. The site even offers a user guide to help bettors navigate the world of online sports betting.
XBet delights its customers with 20+ state, national, and international sports to wager on. Fans of boxing, tennis, MMA, and golf will be especially pleased with what they find here. Horse racing is also a popular feature at this top-notch sportsbook, and XBet offers up to 7% rebates on select wagers.
New bettors can claim a bountiful signup bonus that can double their deposit amount up to $500. Although this maximum amount isn’t the most impressive on our list, the conditions it carries are some of the easiest to fulfill.
Withdrawing winnings is as simple as meeting a 7x rollover requirement on wagers with at least 2:1 odds. New bettors can claim this signup bonus by entering the promo code XB100.
What we like:
- Decent welcome offer terms
- 100% referral bonuses
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Fast crypto withdrawals
What we don’t:
- Small bonus compared to other sportsbooks
3. Bovada – Best Michigan sports betting app
One of top sports betting apps in Michigan, Bovada is the only reputable offshore MI sportsbook that allows its users to enjoy live streaming on select games. With this unique feature, you can follow the action for free without having to subscribe.
This high-quality sports betting site also offers one of the most comprehensive live market selections out there. Bettors can wager on various national and international championships and enjoy early betting lines.
Fans of betting on the NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLB will not be disappointed. In addition to the generous offering of in-season markets, Bovada treats its users to several off-season wagers, some of which come with promotions such as odds boosts.
New bettors are welcomed with a signup bonus of up to $1,000. Bovada will double the value, and the rollover requirement on wagers is reasonable – minimum odds are 2:1. You can claim your welcome bonus by entering the Bovada bonus code BVD1000.
What we like:
- Wide sports selection
- Live streaming
- Impressive prop bets offering
- $1 bets
What we don’t:
- Some payment methods carry fees
4. MyBookie – Great for Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency deposits
If you like betting on the go, MyBookie is one of the best options in Michigan. While there is no app, the website has a mobile-optimized design compatible with a wide range of devices and systems – phones and tablets running iOS, Android, Huawei Windows, and more.
Enthusiasts of both national and international competitions will find a lot to like here. MyBookie is perfect for NFL, MLB, and NHL fans, and bettors can enjoy excellent odds and early lines. International competitions to bet on include the Spanish La Liga and the UK’s Premier League.
New bettors can look forward to a doubled first deposit when claiming a signup bonus worth up to $1,000. MyBookie allows users to cash out upon satisfying a wagering requirement on wagers with odds of at least 2.5:1. You can claim this lucrative welcome offer by entering the MyBookie promo code MYB100.
What we like:
- High-quality basketball coverage
- Generous promotions
- Excellent odds on live bets
What we don’t:
- Could use more eSports coverage
5. BetUS – Top welcome bonuses for Michigan online betting
BetUS offers some of the most generous signup bonuses in Michigan. Bettors who sign up today are eligible to claim a 125% match deposit bonus up to $2,500. Naturally, this promotion carries some demanding terms, such as a 14-day rollover requirement for wagers with odds of at least 2.8:1. New bettors can claim their welcome bonus by entering the BetUS promo code JOIN125.
In addition to its lucrative welcome bonus, BetUS boasts an offering of over 20 sports, including football, basketball, baseball, and NASCAR, to name a few. Placing bets is straightforward, and both pre-game and in-play markets are available.
eSports enthusiasts won’t be disappointed, either – this top Michigan sports betting site is ahead of its competitors in the state in this regard. Video games you can wager on include League of Legends, DOTA 2, CS:GO, Overwatch, DOTA 2, and Tekken. The website features a separate page for eSports, and bettors can enjoy upcoming, pre-game, and live markets.
What we like:
- Outstanding signup bonus
- Excellent live betting features
- Impressive eSports coverage
- 24/7 live chat customer support
What we don’t:
- Limited payment method choices
Michigan Betting Sites Comparison
Now let’s take a look at how Michigan’s best sportsbooks match up against one another.
|Betting Site||Bonus||Promo Code||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||50% matched up to $1000||BOL1000||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Person 2 Person|
|XBet||100% matched up to $500||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Person 2 Person|
|MyBookie||100% matched up to $1000||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Person 2 Person|
|BetUS||100% matched up to $2500 + casino 25% up to $625||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency|
|Bovada||50% matched up to $1000||None||Debit cards, credit cards, Rapid Transfer|
|Intertops||100% matched up to $200||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Skrill, Neteller|
|SportsBetting.ag||50% matched up to $1000||SB1000||Debit cards, credit cards, wire transfer, cryptocurrency, cheque, EcoPayz|
|BetNow||100% matched up to $500||BN100||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Person 2 Person|
|GT Bets||100% matched up to $500 plus 50% matched up to $250||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, quickcash|
|BUSR||50% matched up to $500||None||Debit cards, credit cards, cryptocurrency, Direct Deposit|
How to Bet on Sports in Michigan
Those new to online sports betting are often reluctant to sign up with a betting site; they fear the process will be complex and intimidating. Luckily, the opposite is true. Here’s a quick getting-started tutorial that will show how easy it is to sign up and start betting with Betonline, the best Michigan sportsbook.
Step 1: Open a BetOnline account
To do so, click here to open the BetOnline website on your desktop or mobile device and click the “Join Now” button. Fill out the simple registration form by entering your first name, last name, email, password, country, zip code, phone number, and date of birth:
When you request your first money withdrawal, BetOnline will ask you to verify your identity through a secure online ID check, so please make to enter accurate details into the sign-up form.
Step 2:Verify Your Email
Load your inbox and click the verification link in the email from BetOnline to validate your account.
Step 3: Fund Your Account
Click or tap the Deposit button and choose your favorite deposit method. The Michigan sports betting app currently supports Bitcoin, credit cards, debit cards, eChecks, and Altcoins (BCH, Ripple, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Stellar, and more):
Hidden deposit options include Moneygram, Wire Transfer, Cashier Check, Money Order, and Ria; click the “View More Deposit Options” button to reveal them.
You may be asked to enter your physical address when making your first deposit:
Next, enter the amount you’d like to deposit. The minimum for most payment options is $20, while the maximum ranges from $500 (credit cards) to $500,000 (cryptocurrencies):
High-rollers may request a limit increase by contacting live chat support.
Remember to enter the sportsbook promo code BOL1000 on this page before you confirm your deposit to avoid forfeiting your welcome bonus.
Click “Deposit Now” to receive instructions on how to submit payment.
Step 4: Bet
You can start wagering at the best sportsbook in Michigan as soon as your online balance reflects your transfer, which often happens instantly. Just pick a sports discipline and click a market to create your betslip:
If you’re looking for a Michigan sports betting app, you’re in luck; the state is a thriving market for regulated online and offline betting. Two dozen regional sportsbooks are competing for attention, and new ones are bound to join the fray next year. Sign up with BetOnline, the best sportsbook in Michigan, and enter promo code BOL1000 while depositing to redeem one of the best welcome bonuses available in Michigan.
- BetOnline 🥇 (5 / 10 Points)
- MyBookie 🥈 (5 / 10 Points)
- Bovada 🥉 (4.5 / 10 Points)
- BetUS (4.5 / 10 Points)
- XBet (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Everygame (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Sportsbetting.ag (4 / 10 Points)
- BetNow (4 / 10 Points)