Home News what they said wenger accepts blame mourinho we came to kill

What They Said: Wenger accepts blame, Mourinho – “We came to Kill”



We sometimes use affiliate links in our content, when clicking on those we might receive a commission – at no extra cost to you. By using this website you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has taken full responsibility for his side’s shocking and humiliating 6-0 defeat at the hands of London rivals Chelsea on Saturday, which was the Frenchman’s 1000th match in charge of the Gunners.

“The defeat is my fault,” Wenger told the BBC. “I take full responsibility for it. I don’t think there’s too much need to talk about the mistakes we made.


“We got a good hiding today. It’s how we respond now on Tuesday night [against Swansea City] and the best way is not to explain too much the mistakes.

“Yes, of course it’s one of the worst days [in my career]. It’s over after 20 minutes and it’s a long game after that. You don’t prepare all week to experience that kind of experience.”

With Liverpool and Manchester City winning their respective games, Arsenal’s title chances have taken a severe blow.

Meanwhile, Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has continued to play down his team’s title chances, though this time he claims, they have “a little chance” now.

“We came to kill,” Mourinho told the BBC“In ten minutes, we destroy. After that? Easy.”

“We start in an incredible way. After seven minutes it is 2-0 and the game is over. We want to try to make Arsenal not feel comfortable, the way they like to play.

“We managed to do that – 2-0 after seven minutes and the game is over, because we were too strong for them. After that the penalty comes and the red card. The game was resolved in ten minutes.”

Arsenal left back Kieran Gibbs was given his marching orders in a case of mistaken identity during the first half, after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain handled the ball in the penalty area.

In any case, it wouldn’t have hampered the outcome of the result as Chelsea would have still enjoyed a numerical advantage.

Samuel Eto’o and Andre Schurrle had already scored within 10 minutes, before Eden Hazard converted from the penalty spot following Gibbs’ controversial sent off, effectively ending the tie as a contest.