Today’s news briefs are brought to you by the most popular footballer in the world, Mr David Beckham:
A gentleman wants to rebrand Aston Villa Football Club to incorporate ‘Birmingham’ in its name. And apparently he believes he makes perfect sense. This is where a lack of personal involvment in football can make you sound like a complete moron when you start talking about clubs and fans and what not. I’m sure the idea itself is sound, but fans will murder you before you can get this out to a vote.
Shearer is reported to have ‘rejected’ Newcastle’s offer to become a coach at the club. Why the club is still after him is baffling – surely there are far more qualified coaches around to help the players and the club improve?
Why is this Tevez to Real Madrid rumour still alive? Manchester United will sign him, and that’s that. Madrid need a striker and it’s not going to be a United striker, that’s for sure.
Arsene Wenger reckons that Arsenal must beat Chelsea to stay in the title race, that failure to win will knock them out. Let’s hold him to his word, shall we? It’ll be the first time in many years that Wenger would have admitted something like this so early in the season. Then again, you’re just as likely to see Arsenal hold Chelsea to a draw and Wenger change his mind in the post-match conference, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Rio Ferdinand and Ashley Cole are investing in a British gangster movie involving 50 Cent. Now, great move for Rio / Fifty, not so good to partner up with Mr Cole. Come on guys, showbiz is about public image, and after the pain Rio has gone through in cleaning up his image, does he really want to be associated with the most hated footballer in England?
Best Soccerlens articles this week:
- Football Injuries – curse of the modern footballer.
- 5 Hot Prospects from the Portuguese league. Football Manager fans, take notes.
- Top 20 Future England Stars – in case you’re a patriotic Football Manager fan…
- MLS Youth Academies – the MLS and US football in general is a bit complicated to follow, but this article (along with our ‘how does the MLS work?‘ article) is a good starting point to understand matters.
- Do you hate football players? Join the debate and tell us why.
- Ferguson v Wenger – the two best managers in England, who could, after Sunday, have lost their chance to win the league this season but are far from losing their jobs. Who else in Europe can say that?