- Pre-season expectations: To build upon last season’s success and cement their position in the Premiership.
- Season evaluation: Wigan proved that they had over-achieved last season and only a final day, desperate win saved them from relegation. It was a disappointment but in reality Wigan have done well to survive two years in the Premiership.
- The Big Negative: Tactically naive – last season’s ‘open football’ turned into an invitation for massacre this season.
- The Big Positive: Premiership survival.
- Summer Priority: Keep Leighton Baines / bring in players who can help them turn into a stable mid-table Premiership side instead of Watford (a mid-table Prem side instead of relegation contenders).
Wigan must invest in new players because the new teams coming in the Premiership have good quality players and will make ‘survival’ harder.
Now it’s your turn: How do you think Wigan can improve this summer?
- The complete list for the Premiership 2006/2007 season reviews.
- Do you have what it takes to be a football manager?