Louisiana sports betting has become much easier in 2021, following the State’s referendum in 2020. Today, both retail and online sportsbooks are legally allowed to operate, offering residents an opportunity to bet on a wide range of sports and events.
Even though the Louisiana sports betting bill has passed, there is still lots left to do to make sports betting accessible and convenient. In this guide on sports betting in Louisiana, we will explain the different rules that apply to various parishes. We will also introduce you to the top 10 best Louisiana sports betting apps and sites and provide you with details of their generous sign up bonuses.
50% match deposit bonus worth up to $1,000
- Huge Range of Sports Markets
- Live In-Game Betting
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
100% deposit match up to $500
- Biggest Range of Sports
- Top Horse Racing Sportsbook
- Seamless Payments & Payouts
100% deposit match up to $1,000
- HD Quality Live Streaming
- Accepts Major Cryptocurrencies
- Top Parlay Builder
100% deposit match welcome bonus of up to $1,000
- Top Contests & Promotions
- Supports parlays, teasers and if bets
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
Up to $2,500 with a 125% deposit match (100% sports bonus and 25% casino bonus)
- Biggest Bonus Offering
- Parlay Builder For Complex Bets
- 24/7 Customer Support
Up To $150 Sign Up Bonus
- Top Quality Mobile Betting App
- High Limit Sportsbook
- Fast Payouts
50% deposit match up to $1000
- Top All-In-One Gambling Site
- Many Betting Options & Promotions
- All US Customers Accepted
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Best Reload Bonus
- In-Play Betting
- 10% Weekly Rebate on Horse Racing
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Reputable Sportsbook
- Impressive VIP Program
- Casino & Racebook Bets
The Best Louisiana Sports Betting Sites List 2021
If you’re looking to place your first sports bet in seconds, you should register an account with any of the platforms below. These are the top 10 best Louisiana sports betting sites, renowned for offering a great selection of markets and some of the most generous bonuses in the State.
- BetOnline – Best Overall Louisiana Sports Betting Site.
- XBet – Top Bitcoin Betting Site.
- Bovada – The Best Live Sports Betting Louisiana.
- MyBookie – Great Selection of NFL and NBA Markets.
- BetUS – Highest Welcome Bonus Amongst Louisiana Sports Betting Sites.
- Intertops – A Top LA Platform for Sports, Casino, and Poker.
- Sportsbetting.ag – Provides Extensive Sports Betting Louisiana News.
- BetNow – Top Provider of Prop Bets in Louisiana.
- GT Bets – Louisiana Sports Betting 2021 Top Odds Provider.
- BUSR – Highest Horse Racing Rebates in LA.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Louisiana?
Yes, ever since the Louisiana sports betting 2020 law passed, both in-person and online betting has become legal. There is, however, a unique catch in the State’s law. Even though the Pelican State voted, as a whole, to legalize sports betting sites, it is up to the individual parishes to determine whether to enact the law or not.
As we’re writing this guide on sports betting Louisiana, 56 out of 64 parishes have agreed to introduce sports gambling. Residents of the remaining parishes have to travel to neighboring parishes to bet on sports.
The unique rule governing legal sports betting Louisiana extends to online sportsbooks as well. If you’re a resident in a parish that has not introduced gambling apps or sites, you will be geo-blocked from accessing licensed online sportsbooks. Naturally, you could try to circumvent this restriction using VPNs, but it is certainly a hassle that many residents could do without.
Another solution to online sports betting in Louisiana is to use offshore betting sites. We will discuss these platforms in more detail later on in this guide on sports betting Louisiana.
Land-based Betting in Louisiana
Even though the sports betting legal in Louisiana became a reality in 2020, in 2021, we are still waiting for licensed online sportsbooks. Fortunately, licensed land-based sportsbooks are already available. Top sportsbooks are located at:
- Barstool Sportsbook at Boomtown Casino Hotel in Bossier City.
- Barstool Sportsbook at Margaritaville Resort Casino in Bossier City.
- Betfred Sports at Paragon Casino Resort and Hotel in Marksville.
- Caesars Sportsbook at Harrah’s New Orleans Hotel & Casino in New Orleans.
- Caesars Sportsbook at Horseshoe Bossier City Hotel & Casino in Bossier City.
- DraftKings Sportsbook at Golden Nugget Hotel & Casino in Lake Charles.
- Unibet Sportsbook at Boomtown Casino & Hotel New Orleans in Harvey.
- Unibet Sportsbook at l’Auberge Casino Hotel Baton Rouge in Baton Rouge.
- Unibet Sportsbook at l’Auberge Casino Lake Charles in Lake Charles.
Louisiana Horse Racing & Off Track Betting
Since 1916, Louisiana has had continuous seasons of horse races across licensed tracks. Today, there are five tracks that feature a mix of thoroughbred and quarter horse races. Many of these tracks are also licensed casinos and have recently become legal Louisiana sports betting sites.
Across the State, you can also find off-track betting sites. You will find the majority of these OTB sites in Jefferson Parish.
Whilst visiting a racetrack to place a horse racing bet can be lots of fun, it is inconvenient to do it frequently. This is why many LA residents prefer Louisiana sports betting online. By using platforms specializing in horse racing bets, such as BUSR and MyBookie, users can place bets in seconds and receive rebates of up to 8%.
Timeline of Louisiana Sports Betting Legislation
Residents of Louisiana have always shown their passion for sports betting. Even when Locke’s Law banned horse races in 1908, it only took eight years for it to be reversed.
Until just a couple of years ago, anyone asking “is online sports betting legal in Louisiana?” would be disappointed with the reply. It was only thanks to a referendum held in 2020 that both in-person and online sports betting became legal.
Here are key moments in the State’s recent history that have led up to the introduction of legal sports betting Louisiana:
- 2021 – Sports betting rules are issued by the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, following Gov. Edwards signed HB697, SB247, and SB142 into law.
- 2020 – The majority of parishes vote to introduce Louisiana sports betting laws.
- 2018 – The US Supreme Court rules the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act unconstitutional, allowing individual states to determine their own sports betting laws.
Even though sports betting Louisiana is legal and there are a number of land-based sportsbooks in operation, offshore betting remains popular. There are many reasons for this, not least being that online sportsbooks in Louisiana are still a few months away from opening up.
Offshore gambling sites are ones that are based in a non-US jurisdiction. There are hundreds of such sportsbooks, but not all are safe and reputable. We’ve developed this Louisiana sports betting guide to introduce you to the best offshore sportsbooks. Before we place any platform in our guides, we carry out extensive research to ensure that they are trustworthy and pay out in a timely manner.
Another important advantage of using offshore sites featured on our guides is that they are all licensed by competent jurisdictions. Even though they are not licensed Louisiana sports betting sites, they hold licenses from Curacao, Panama, or Costa Rica. This allows them to offer better services and sports ranges. They include numerous Bitcoin betting sites that let you pay using cryptocurrencies and benefit from faster payments and lower fees.
Many residents looking for online sports betting in Louisiana are signing up to offshore sites to claim generous sign up bonuses. BetOnline is currently rewarding new players with a welcome bonus worth up to $1,000. BetUS, meanwhile, provides an even greater reward that can top up to $2,500.
Louisiana Daily Fantasy Sports?
Along with online sports betting Louisiana, the Governor signed a law that lets DFS sites operate legally within the State. DraftKings was the first Daily Fantasy Sports platform to open, but it is likely that others, such as FanDuel, will follow shortly.
Louisiana Casino Laws
Whilst Louisiana sports betting laws are comprehensive and cover both online and in-person gambling, casino laws are still fairly limited. Whilst land-based Roulette and Blackjack casinos are allowed to operate, online gambling in Louisiana is still outlawed.
Whilst there is sports betting in Louisiana casinos, there are no online casinos that form part of sportsbook apps or sites. To play slots or card games, you will need to travel to one of the land-based casinos across the State. Alternatively, you can play at offshore online casinos that operate in a very similar way to offshore sportsbooks.
There are many offshore operators offering casino apps and sites, often in conjunction with sportsbooks. This means that with a single account you’ll be able to bet on your favorite sports and play hundreds of video slots, Poker, Blackjack, and Roulette.
Two great Louisiana sports betting sites that offer superb casinos are XBet and Bovada. By signing up with these renowned platforms you’ll be able to enjoy the latest casino games and claim a variety of ongoing casino bonuses.
Land Based Casinos
One of the unique characteristics of Louisiana is its variety of land-based casino establishments. Whilst you’ll likely come across hotels and racetracks offering casinos in other states, you’re less likely to find riverboats featuring casino games.
Below, we have listed the most popular land-based casinos in Louisiana. As you’ll probably notice, we have already listed some of these establishments earlier in this guide to sports betting Louisiana since they also offer a sportsbook.
- Amelia Belle Casino in Amelia.
- Belle of Baton Rouge in Baton Rouge.
- Boomtown Casino & Hotel Bossier City in Bossier City.
- Coushatta Casino Resort in Kinder.
- Cypress Bayou Casino in Charenton.
- Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino in Vinton.
- Eldorado Casino Shreveport in Shreveport.
- Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino in Opelousas.
- Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots in New Orleans.
- Golden Nugget Lake Charles in Lake Charles.
- Harrah’s Louisiana Downs in Bossier City.
- Harrah’s New Orleans in New Orleans.
- Hollywood Casino in Baton Rouge.
- Horseshoe Casino Hotel in Bossier City.
- Isle of Capri – Lake Charles in Westlake.
- Jena Choctaw Pines Casino in Dry Prong.
- L’Auberge Casino Hotel Baton Rouge in Baton Rouge.
- L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles in Lake Charles.
- Margaritaville Resort Casino in Bossier City.
- Paragon Casino Resort in Marksville.
- Sam’s Town Hotel & Casino Shreveport in Shreveport.
- Treasure Chest Casino in Kenner.
Louisiana Gambling Tax
If you were to ask a State official why is there sports betting in Louisiana, the answer would probably be to generate taxes. This reason is shared amongst most legislators across the US who are eager to legalize gambling.
Residents of Louisiana must pay income tax and federal tax on payouts arising from betting. Just like any other form of income, the State tax rate varies between 2% and 6%.
Federal tax from sports betting Louisiana is a flat, 24% rate. Unlike income tax, it is only payable if the value of the payout surpasses any of the following thresholds:
- $600 or more if the amount is at least 300 times the wager.
- $1,200 or more in winnings from Bingo or slot machines.
- $1,500 or more in winnings from Keno.
- More than $5,000 in winnings from a Poker tournament.
- Any winnings subject to a federal income tax withholding requirement
Best Louisiana Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
Now that you have read our Louisiana sports betting update, let’s have a closer look at the top five best Louisiana sports betting sites.
1. BetOnline – Home to All Major US Championships
If you’re a fan of the Pelicans, the Saints, the Mudbugs, or any other major Louisiana sports team, then you’ll feel right at home with BetOnline. This superb online sportsbook offers one of the greatest selections of sports and markets, with an extensive list of live bets available.
For over 25 years, BetOnline has featured all of the country’s top championships, including the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL. Its user-friendly interface and shortcut options make finding a market and placing a bet easy and intuitive.
Apart from traditional sports, BetOnline is also popular for its range of eSports, entertainment, and politics markets. In many cases, you’ll be able to find both pre-event and live markets, with a variety of enhanced odds and other bonuses available.
BetOnline is offering all new Louisiana players the opportunity to claim a 50% match deposit bonus of up to $1,000. This welcome offer includes a rollover requirement on bets with minimum odds of 2:1. You will have 30 days within which to fulfill this requirement. Enter BetOnline promo code BOL1000 when placing your first deposit to receive your bonus.
- Top eSports platform
- A secure and reputable sportsbook
- Comprehensive choice of markets
- Accepts USD and cryptocurrencies
- PayPal not accepted
2. XBet – Top Crypto Betting Site
XBet is one of the most recent online sportsbooks to offer its services to residents of Louisiana. Nevertheless, it has quickly climbed up to the very top of the list of the very best Louisiana sports betting sites.
This extensive and innovative sportsbook offers over 20 different sports and events, including both state and national championships. Whilst its depth of markets is not as extensive as other platforms on this list, XBet still manages to offer a very good range of pre-game and in-play bets.
XBet is accessible across devices and offers a free app for Android and iOS users. It accepts payments in USD and cryptocurrency, through a number of popular methods, and offers support 24/7 via live chat.
By joining XBet today you’ll be able to benefit from a 100% match deposit bonus worth up to $500. Although the value of this offer is relatively small, it comes with very reasonable terms, including a rollover requirement on bets with odds of 2:1 or higher. This offer has no set expiration period. Enter the XBet promo code XB100 with your first payment to receive your new player reward.
- 24/7 live chat support
- Up to 7% horse racing rebates
- Includes a fully-stocked online casino
- Includes 100% referral bonuses
- A smaller variety of ongoing offers
3. Bovada – The Best Live Sports Betting Louisiana
No sports betting Louisiana list could hope to be complete without Bovada. This top-rated platform offers the unique feature of live streaming, allowing you to watch the action unfold directly on your smartphone or computer. To go along with this exciting feature, Bovada offers an extensive in-play market across its 20+ sports.
Bovada is also very popular in Louisiana for its user-friendly mobile apps. You can download these for free on any modern Android or iOS device. Through the app, you can access the full sportsbook and casino, placing a bet with just a couple of taps.
No matter which device you use to register your new Bovada account, you’ll be able to claim a 50% match deposit bonus worth up to $250 with your first payment. This offer is subject to a wagering requirement on bets with minimum odds of 2:1. You do not need to enter a specific Bovada promo code to claim this offer, simply select it when placing your deposit.
- Includes a ‘build your own bet’ feature
- Fast cryptocurrency payments.
- Great selection of futures markets
- Live streaming available
- No eWallets available
4. MyBookie – Great Selection of NFL and NBA Markets
MyBookie is well-known for offering early odds on most US championships, including NFL and NBA matches. It is often the market leader, so it naturally attracts a vast portion of Louisiana bettors. When you do sign on, you’ll likely be impressed with the variety of markets available, covering everything from football and baseball, to boxing and table tennis.
Beyond sports, Mybookie offers a comprehensive online casino along with a dedicated racebook. You can claim bonuses when betting or playing on any part of the platform, including a 250% referral bonus.
Your first MyBookie sports bonus consists of a 100% match deposit worth up to $1,000. This offer comes with a wagering requirement on bets with minimum odds of 2.8:1. There is no expiration period set for this offer. To claim it, simply enter the MyBookie promo code MYB100 when placing your first deposit.
- Best sportsbook for NBA and NFL
- Great choice of ongoing promotions
- Many odds are posted earlier than competitors
- Best provider of prop bets and specials
- A limited choice of eSports
5. BetUS – Highest Welcome Bonus Amongst Louisiana Sports Betting Sites
There are numerous reasons why BetUS ranks amongst the top five best Louisiana sportsbooks. It is probably best known for its superb welcome bonus, so let’s start by discussing it.
When you sign up to BetUS, you’ll be able to claim a 125% welcome bonus of up to $2,500. This offer includes a wagering requirement on bets with minimum odds of 2.8:1 within a 14-day period. Enter the BetUS promo code JOIN125 to claim your own welcome bonus.
Another great reason to join BetUS is its extensive Louisiana sports betting news. The sportsbook is home to over 20 sports and offers a range of articles and blogs providing news, analysis, and commentary to help you spot betting opportunities.
Once you have found your target sport, BetUS lets you choose amongst a variety of markets in both its pre-game and in–play sections.
Complimenting these services is a 24/7 live chat support function with short waiting times.
- Superb eSports selection
- Extensive sports coverage through blogs, vlogs, and guides
- One of the oldest sportsbooks in the world
- Great range of ongoing promotions
- A limited choice of USD payment methods
Louisiana Betting Sites Comparison
The top 10 best Louisiana online sports betting sites share a number of similarities. In the table below, we compare their key features to help you identify the best ones for you.
|Louisiana Sportsbook||Number of Sports||Welcome Bonus||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|XBet||21||100% deposit match up to $500||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|BetOnline||20||50% deposit match up to $1,000||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum, Litecoin|
|Bovada||22||50% deposit match up to $250||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|MyBookie||18||100% deposit match up to $1,000||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum, Litecoin|
|BetUS||22||125% deposit match up to $2,500||No||Credit card, bank wire, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin|
|Intertops||17||100% deposit match up to $500||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|SportsBetting.ag||16||100% deposit match up to $1,000||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
|BetNow||10||100% deposit match up to $500||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash|
|GT Bets||18||100% deposit match up to $500||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, Ripple|
|BUSR||17||20% deposit match up to $500||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Litecoin|
How to Bet on Sports in Louisiana
Now that you know how to answer the question, ‘does Louisiana have sports betting?’, let’s go through the process of signing up and placing your first online sports bet. In the following step-by-step betting guide, we’ll use XBet as our example. We’ve chosen this platform since it’s the best Louisiana sports betting site and is ideal for beginners.
You can also claim a generous, 100% match deposit bonus up to $1,000.
Step 1: Register an Account
Visit BetOnline and click on ‘Join Now’. This will open the sign up form.
Step 2: Fill in Your Information
Enter the details required to create your new account. These include your name, postcode, email address, and mobile number.
Step 3: Verify Your Email
Before you can deposit funds or place your first bet, you will need to confirm your email address. Click on the confirmation link within the email to complete this step.
Step 4: Make a Deposit
Click on ‘Cashier’ to select your preferred payment method. Enter the details of your payment and include the promo code BOL100 to claim your welcome bonus.
Step 5: Place Your Wager
Visit the BetOnline sportsbook, pick your favorite sport and browse through the available markets. Click on a market, set the value of your bet on the bet slip and click on ‘Confirm Bet’ to place your first sportsbook wager.
Louisiana sports betting sites have become easily accessible and widespread. Thanks, in part, to recent legislation, you can place your favorite sports bets conveniently and without needing to leave your home. Before placing a deposit, remember to check out sportsbook promo codes to claim generous bonuses and rewards.
If you’re still not sure which online sportsbook to use, we recommend you give BetOnline a try. Apart from offering sports betting with huge bonuses, this top platform also offers a comprehensive casino. Click the link below to claim your BetOnline bonus today!
- BetOnline 🥇 (5 / 10 Points)
- MyBookie 🥈 (5 / 10 Points)
- Bovada 🥉 (4.5 / 10 Points)
- BetUS (4.5 / 10 Points)
- XBet (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Everygame (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Sportsbetting.ag (4 / 10 Points)
- BetNow (4 / 10 Points)