Connecticut sports betting has only gone live in the past few months. But how does sports betting in Connecticut work? On this page, we will reveal our list of the 10 best Connecticut sportsbooks, and provide mini reviews.
We will also discuss the legal side of betting in this state, as well as answer some FAQs to clear up any confusion. Carry on reading to find out more.
50% match deposit bonus worth up to $1,000
- Huge Range of Sports Markets
- Live In-Game Betting
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
100% deposit match up to $500
- Biggest Range of Sports
- Top Horse Racing Sportsbook
- Seamless Payments & Payouts
100% deposit match up to $1,000
- HD Quality Live Streaming
- Accepts Major Cryptocurrencies
- Top Parlay Builder
100% deposit match welcome bonus of up to $1,000
- Top Contests & Promotions
- Supports parlays, teasers and if bets
- $1,000 Welcome Bonus
Up to $2,500 with a 125% deposit match (100% sports bonus and 25% casino bonus)
- Biggest Bonus Offering
- Parlay Builder For Complex Bets
- 24/7 Customer Support
Up To $150 Sign Up Bonus
- Top Quality Mobile Betting App
- High Limit Sportsbook
- Fast Payouts
50% deposit match up to $1000
- Top All-In-One Gambling Site
- Many Betting Options & Promotions
- All US Customers Accepted
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Best Reload Bonus
- In-Play Betting
- 10% Weekly Rebate on Horse Racing
100% welcome bonus up to $500
- Reputable Sportsbook
- Impressive VIP Program
- Casino & Racebook Bets
The Best Connecticut Sports Betting Sites
We have undergone extensive research to find the best offshore betting sites, so if you are looking for an online sportsbook in Connecticut, then the following 10 are tried and trusted:
- BetOnline – Overall Best Connecticut Sports Betting Site for 2022
- XBet – Top Connecticut Sports Betting Site for coverage of international events
- Bovada – Superb sports betting app in Connecticut
- MyBookie – Excellent Connecticut Sports Betting Site for live streaming
- BetUS – One of the best Connecticut Sportsbooks for providing large welcome bonuses
- Intertops – Excellent Connecticut Bookmaker for NHL betting
- Sportsbetting.ag – Reputable Connecticut Betting Site for soccer
- BetNow – Renowned for compiling prop bets
- GTBets – Sportsbooks with a decent range of welcome bonuses
- BUSR – Reputable Sports Betting Site for customer service
Is Sports Betting Legal in Connecticut?
In short, yes. Online Connecticut sports betting was only made legal in October, with retail sports betting launching the month before. This materialized after HB6451 was signed into law in May 2021. It took a few months before the Connecticut sports betting bill was ratified, and the Gaming Division of the Department of Consumer Protection is tasked with overseeing all activity relating to sports betting in Connecticut.
Although sports betting in Connecticut is relatively new, there are already a handful of recognized sites where you can place wagers across a wide range of sports, including NFL, NBA, soccer, and much more.
Later on, we will look at the online betting in Connecticut scene, and some of the betting sites you can gamble at.
Over the past couple of months, online sportsbooks are beginning to make an impact in Connecticut. Previously, residents had to make do with playing at offshore betting sites. The US Department of the Interior, as of September, approved a new compact agreement between CT and the state’s two gaming tribes.
Three sportsbooks have been rolled out, so the following sports betting sites can be enjoyed by CT residents:
- Sugar House
In addition, it is expected the Connecticut Lottery will team up with an online bookmaker to offer betting services. 15 providers have submitted partnership proposals, while four remain on the table. However, the identity of these four operators remains a secret.
As with sports betting, land-based betting in Connecticut is legal, but it isn’t widely available. This has all changed following the agreement signed between the state and the two gaming tribes.
The following land-based Connecticut sports betting sites are owned by the Mashantucket Pequot and the Mohegan Indian tribes:
- The Mohegan Sun in Uncasville
- The Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket
The Connecticut Lottery will now be able to operate 15 retail sports betting venues. Two of which will have to be located in Hartford and Bridgeport.
Horse Racing & Off Track Betting in Connecticut
Although horse racing was legalized in Connecticut in 1971, there are currently no race tracks in CT. A proposal was filed in the late 1970s in an effort for a race track to be built in Walcott, but the initiative fell flat after failing to get state approval.
However, things are much brighter when it comes to Off-Track betting in Connecticut, which has been legal since 1976. The state is now home to 12 Off-Track Race (OTB) betting parlors, which are as follows:
- Winners Bradley (Windsor Locks, CT)
- Winners Hartford (Hartford, CT)
- Winners Manchester (Manchester, CT)
- Winners Milford (Milford, CT)
- Winners New Britain (New Britain, CT)
- Winners Norwalk (Norwalk, CT)
- Winners Putnam (Putnam, CT)
- Winners Shoreline Star (Bridgeport, CT)
- Winners Sports Haven (New Haven, CT)
- Winners Stamford (Stamford, CT)
- Winners Torrington (Torrington, CT)
- Winners Waterbury (Waterbury, CT)
As well as that, the state facilitates advance-deposit wagering (ADW), enabling players to place wagers on races online or by mobile.
Alternatively, bettors are free to place wagers on some of the biggest horse races, including the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes at the offshore betting sites we have outlined in this guide.
Connecticut Sports Betting Legislation Timeline
So, how did sports betting in Connecticut become legalized? Let’s trace the key events that made it happen:
- October 2021 – Legal online sports betting in Connecticut launches on October 19 after Governor Lamont signed a Connecticut sports betting bill.
- September 2021 – The Office of the Connecticut Lottery confirms it has made a formal application for the soft launch of legal online sports betting Connecticut.
- July 2021 – FanDuel announces it has signed a pact with Mohegan Indians, paving the way for the first online Connecticut sports betting site.
- May 27, 2021 – Governor Lamont signs the Connecticut sports betting legislation into law. Subsequently, the CT Lottery and the state’s two Native tribes are positioned to offer sports betting, which is contingent on approval from the US Department of Interior.
- May 25, 2021 – HB6541 is approved by the CT Senate. For the Connecticut sports betting legislation to pass, it requires Governor Lamont to amend Connecticut’s tribal compacts.
- May 13, 2021 – Legal online sports betting in Connecticut moves a step closer. The CT Lottery asks four bookmakers to submit sports betting partnership proposals.
- March 2021 – Governor Lamont confirms an agreement has been reached between the Mohegan Indians tribe and the Mashtantucket Pequot tribe.
- February 2021 – Government officials include gaming revenue forecasts for their budget proposal, signalling their intent to commit to legalized betting.
- January 2021 – Lawmakers file bill SB146, which is aimed at bringing together the two of the most state’s prominent tribes to offer sports betting in Connecticut online.
- March 2020 – Governor Ned Lamont retracts his desire for simple sports betting in Connecticut agreement.
- 2018 – 2020: Several sports betting bills are in the works, and there is proposed legislation included in SB17, SB665, and HB7331. Nothing comes out of these bills.
Offshore Betting in Connecticut
Offshore betting, until recently, was something of a legal gray area in Connecticut. So, in other words, you could sign up to international sportsbooks and play for real money without breaking any laws, as long as the betting sites accept players from CT.
The best offshore betting sites are judged on a variety of criteria that includes but is not limited to: range of markets, payment methods, bonus and promotions, and licensing information.
Connecticut Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) are currently legal, and bettors can get involved in DFS contests through the native tribes, who are in charge of the DFS industry.
However, there is a worry that DFS clashes with tribal gambling objectives on many fronts, so it could take lengthy negotiations to keep everyone happy.
In the meantime, CT residents can wager on DFS at the top operators, including:
- Monkey Knife Fight
Connecticut Casino Laws
Connecticut is home to two land-based casinos, which are owned by the state’s tribes. Both are located on their respective tribal lands, and there have been talks to open more.
You will also find Bingo games available in commercial parlors and through charities, in addition to the Connecticut Lottery, which has been in operation since 1971.
Online casinos are now available in Connecticut. Although still early days, we expect more to arrive in the coming months.
There are many excellent online casino sites for US gamblers to play for real money. You could also join sites, such as Chumba Casino and LuckyLand Slots. The latter uses an ingenious sweepstake-based model to offer casino-like games without breaking local gambling regulations.
The state’s two native tribes also offer social gambling sites where you can play for real money.
Currently, there are only two physical land-based casinos in Connecticut:
- Mohegan Sun Casino Resort – Features over 5,000 online slots, 42 poker tables, and hundreds of table games.
- Foxwood Resort Casino – Has over 4,800 slots, 147 poker tables, and 380 table games.
These venues are operated by the Mohegan Tribe and the Mashantucket Pequot tribes, and there are plans to open more.
Two new brick-and-mortar casinos are also in the pipeline – the MGM Bridgeport by MGM Resorts International and the Tribal Winds Casino by MMCT Venture LLC.
Connecticut Gambling Taxes
When it comes to Connecticut online gambling, taxes will vary. For example, the Connecticut Lottery keeps back 6.99% in tax on all winnings that exceed $5,000 OR exceed $600, and are at least 300 times the size of the original wager.
Gambling income that comes from other sources, is subject to the state’s standard income tax, which ranges between 3% and 6.99%. This will also depend on your total income from all sources. Most CT residents will end up paying between 5% and 6% in taxes.
And now that HB6541 has been ratified, CT residents could now be taxed at 13.5% for all winnings made from gambling.
Best Connecticut Sports Betting Sites Reviewed
Now, you have a better understanding of how Connecticut sports betting works, it’s time to review the best Connecticut sportsbooks, and explain what makes them so special:
1. BetOnline – Overall Best Connecticut Sports Betting Site for 2022
BetOnline came out on top in our list of the best Connecticut sportsbooks, and it’s not hard to see why. It is a favorite destination for basketball enthusiasts, as the betting options cover professional and semi-professional US leagues. On the whole, this site provides the best sports for Connecticut players to bet on, as they can wager on everything from golf and tennis through to soccer and the Olympics.
Aside from that, BetOnline is a mobile sports betting Connecticut site that boasts one of the best betting apps around. The app is highly responsive, and it supports users who have Android and iOS devices. The mobile-based platform is perhaps more reliable than the browser-based version, so if you are serious about betting, then make sure you download the app.
Beyond the traditional sports offering, BetOnline is perhaps the best Connecticut sportsbook, because it has a healthy selection of eSports. Those who are into LoL, Dota, and CS:GO will find the betting markets they are looking for.
And when it comes to promotions, the welcome bonus is worth talking about. At BetOnline, you can tap into a lucrative $1,000 welcome bonus, and you will have to deposit a minimum of $55 to qualify. To claim the promotion, you will need to enter the BetOnline promo code BOL1000 at the cashier. The rollover requirement is 10X here.
- Variety of recurring sports promotions
- Lucrative welcome bonus worth $1,000
- User-friendly platform
- One of the best Connecticut sports betting apps
- Fees on some withdrawal options
2. XBet - Top Connecticut Sports Betting Site for coverage of international events
XBet may be ranked as the second best Connecticut sportsbook according to our list, but it is a super site for its coverage of international events. In particularly, XBet excels when it comes to serving up NFL markets. There are loads of lines, including dozens of prop bets for every regular-season game. You will also find odds boost for some events, so here prices are enhanced to make them more appealing to punters.
XBet, however, isn't a one-trick pony. There are more than 20 other sports in the sports lobby, including baseball, motor racing, golf, and tennis. The platform is very easy to use, and it is also mobile-friendly, so you can place bets while on the move.
In addition, XBet has a $500 welcome bonus for new players with a 100% deposit match. Although it isn't as strong as some of the other Connecticut sports betting sites we have mentioned in this guide, you don't need to enter a promo code. You can bet on anything at XBet with odds of -200 or greater.
- Lots of NFL betting markets
- Odds boost
- Good for prop and futures style bets
- Smooth mobile betting
- Smaller bonus in comparison to other sites
3. Bovada - Superb sports betting app in Connecticut
The Connecticut sports betting sites that fare well will generally perform well on mobile. It is safe to say that Bovada is highly regarded in this area, and when it comes to sports betting in Connecticut, few sites have a better app. Indeed, Bovada's app works for both iOS and Android users, and you can get access to the latest tips and news.
One of the selling points of the site, is that it is one of the few offshore betting sites that provides HD-quality live streaming for events. This is a huge advantage, and when it comes to in-play betting, the odds are very competitive.
At Bovada, you will be able to feast on a wide range of markets. The site covers all the mainstream sports, as well as ones that are more niche, such as futsal and volleyball. You will also find dozens of prop bets for big games, and Bovada also has a parlay builder to help you pull together multiple wagers.
Aside from that, Bovada is one of the best bitcoin betting sites in the business. Here, players will receive a 100% deposit match up to $750. The minimum odds are -200, and it comes with rollover requirements of 5X. You can only deposit with Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin or Ethereum to qualify for the bonus. Also, don't forget to enter the Bovada promo code BTCSWB750 to claim your Bovada welcome bonus today.
- Live streaming available
- Diverse selection of sports markets
- Excellent mobile app
- Strong selection of eSports
- No teasers or if-bets
4. MyBookie - Excellent Connecticut Sports Betting Site for live streaming
Launched over seven years ago, MyBookie is a solid site for sports betting in Connecticut. This is primarily due to its proven track record of fast payouts, as well as having a strong mobile product.
The bookie's platform allows you to place wagers on a variety of the world's biggest events, including the Africa Cup of Nations, the Super Bowl as well as the Grand Slam tournaments in tennis. Added to that, you can bet in-play, and there is a trusty live streaming service that will broadcast the biggest matches too.
If that wasn't enough, there is plenty for eSports fans to get excited about, especially LoL fans, where you can get early lines on local and international competitions.
The welcome bonus also makes MyBookie a strong pick as one of the best sites for sports betting in Connecticut. Here, you can claim a 100% deposit match up to $1,000, and you will need to enter the MyBookie promo code INSIDERS when prompted. The rollover requirements are displayed as 10X.
- Great cryptocurrency bonus
- Can stream matches in HD quality
- Fast payouts
- Favorable but competitive odds
- Best promotions require Bitcoin deposits
5. BetUS - One of the best Connecticut Sportsbooks for providing large welcome bonuses
We couldn't curate a list of the best sites for sports betting in Connecticut without including BetUS. Aside from hosting markets for most major sports leagues, including NBA, NFL, and MLB, BetUS also runs weekly competitions on the site with cash prizes that reward top bettors.
BetUS also delivers strongly as a Connecticut sports betting site when it comes to horse racing. At this sportsbook, you can wager on thousands of thoroughbred races, harness and fixed odds races. It is also very easy to access horse racing odds for any meeting in Europe or the US.
While BetUS rewards crypto users with a 200% bonus, which is split into 150% for sports and the other 50% contributing to the casino, the flagship promotion is worth tapping into. This comprises a 125% deposit match up to $2,500, and this can be claimed using the promo code JOIN125 to get started. As far as promotions go, BetUS is the best site in Connecticut.
- Great live betting options
- Very strong welcome bonus
- 24/7 live chat support
- Extensive coverage of US sports
- Only 14 days to use the welcome bonus
Connecticut Betting Sites Comparison
Here's how the top 5 Connecticut sports betting sites fare when it comes to promotions and markets offered:
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming (Y/N)||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||100% up to $1,000||BOL1000||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||N/A||Basketball, tennis, golf, NHL, soccer, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin
|Bovada||Up to $1,000||BVD1000||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000
25% reload bonus up to $500
|Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum
|BetUS||125% up to $2,500||JOIN125||Basketball, baseball, ice hockey, football, motorsport, and more||No||Credit card, bank wire, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, and Litecoin
How to Bet on Sports in Connecticut
This section is dedicated to anyone who hasn't used a Connecticut sportsbook before. We will show you how to get started and deposit funds with the best betting site on our list - BetOnline. By signing up today, you can benefit from a 50% welcome bonus worth up to $1,000.
Step 1: Create a BetOnline Account
Head over to the sportsbook's website and click the 'Join Now' button.
Step 2: Enter Your Details
Enter your name and other personal information on the registration form. Then, continue to follow the on-screen instructions.
Step 3: Verify Your Email
Before you can deposit funds, you will need to verify your email address. BetOnline will send you an automated email. Click on the link within the email to complete registration.
Step 4: Make a Deposit
To deposit, click on the 'Cashier' to view the available payment methods. Choose your preferred payment option, and follow the instructions on the screen to complete your first payment. Don't forget to enter the promo code BOL1000 to claim your welcome bonus.
Step 5: Place a Sports Bet
With the funds in your account, you will now be able to place your first bet. Simply select 'Sports' or 'Live Betting' to view the different sports and markets available. When you find yours, just click on the market and enter the value of your wager. Click 'Confirm Bet' to place your first sports bet. You will now be able to place wagers as and when you wish!
Connecticut sports betting may be quite new, but we expect that it will make significant strides in the future. We believe that online sports betting will evolve, and retail betting will start to take off too in the coming months.
So, if you are interested in signing up to a Connecticut sports betting site, then make sure to claim your promo codes, and begin betting today. Sign up to BetOnline to claim a 50% welcome bonus up to $1,000.
- BetOnline 🥇 (5 / 10 Points)
- MyBookie 🥈 (5 / 10 Points)
- Bovada 🥉 (4.5 / 10 Points)
- BetUS (4.5 / 10 Points)
- XBet (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Everygame (4.5 / 10 Points)
- Sportsbetting.ag (4 / 10 Points)
- BetNow (4 / 10 Points)