Saturday’s Sun Chariot Stakes will see the Jane Chapple-Hyam-trained Saffron Beach try and defend her crown. We take a look at the latest betting and the key trends ahead of the 1m Newmarket contest, plus showcase a number of free bets to snap-up to use on the race.
Best Horse Racing Betting Offers & Free Bets
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free BetsT&Cs apply, 18+
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free Bets + £10 Casino BonusT&Cs apply, 18+
T&Cs apply, 18+
Bet £10 Get £20 In Free Bets
T&Cs apply, 18+
Bet £30 Get A £30 Free Bet
T&Cs apply, 18+
Bet £10 Get £60 in Bonuses
Already claimed these betting offers? You can check out the best horse racing betting sites and add more top bookmakers to your portfolio.
What Date/Time Is The Sun Chariot Stakes 2022?
📅Date: 2:42pm – Saturday, 1st October 2022
💰 Purse/Winner: £151,345
📺 TV: ITV / Racing TV
DID YOU KNOW? 16 of the last 18 Sun Chariot Stakes winners were previous Group winners. So, why not snap-up a FREE £30 bet with 888Sport to use on Saturday’s Sun Chariot Stakes.
Sun Chariot Stakes: Saffron Beach Looks To Defend Title
The last ‘back-to-back’ winner of Saturday’s Group One Sun Chariot Stakes was the three-time winner Sahpresa, who mopped-up a trio of wins between 2009 and 2011. This weekend Saffron Beach, who took the honours 12 months ago, will be trying to add her name to the list of repeat winners.
Since winning this race last year, this 4 year-old has returned this season in tip-top form with wins in the Duke Of Cambridge Stakes at Royal Ascot in June and the G1 Prix Rothschild at Deauville in August.
SAFFRON BEACH @ 6/4 with 888Sport was last seen running a fair second at Leopardstown in the Matron Stakes too, having both Homeless Songs and Tenebrism back in 3rd and 4th that day too. She has been installed as the Sun Chariot Stakes favourite for Saturday’s race with regular rider William Buick also back in the saddle.
Who Are The Dangers To Saffron Beach?
At this stage we could have a leading Irish runner in Homeless Songs for Dermot Weld that will make the trip over to Newmarket.
Homeless Songs was the easy winner of the Irish 1,000 Guineas at the Curragh back in May, but has since run fourth in the already-mentioned Matron Stakes, so has a bit of ground to find with Saffron Beach on that running.
However, this 3 year-old has been well-supported in the days before the race and you feel that last run was a fair bit under what she’s capable of so it would be no real surprise if she bounced back – especially if you focus on her easy Irish 1,000 win.
On the home front, the shock winner of the Falmouth Stakes, Prosperous Voyage has an entry too, while the unbeaten filly Laurel for John and Thady Gosden has been popular in the betting in the build-up to the race and would certainly have a lot more room for improvement than most in the field.
Laurel has so far only run in Novice races at Newmarket and Kempton, so this is a huge step up, but connections clearly feel this Kingman filly is up to the rise in class and looks an interesting runner for a yard that won this race in 2020 with Nazeef.
See the latest 2022 Royal Bahrain Sun Chariot Stakes betting odds below
DID YOU KNOW? 50% of the last 18 Sun Chariot Stakes winners were aged 3
Sun Chariot Stakes Betting Trends
- 16/18 – Had won over at least 1m before
- 16/18 – Previous Group winners
- 13/18 – Won between 3-5 times before
- 13/18 – Raced in the last 6 weeks
- 12/18 – Rated between 113 and 119
- 12/18 – Previous Group One winners
- 9/18 – Aged 3 years-old
- 6/18 – Winning favourites (1 co)
- 6/18 – Raced at Deauville last time out
- 6/18 – Won last time out
- 5/18 – French-trained winners
- 5/18 – Returned a double-figure price in the betting
- 3/18 – Ridden by Ryan Moore
- 3/18 – Trained by Aidan O’Brien (2 of last 6)
- 2/18 – Won by a previous winner of the race
- 14 of the last 15 winners came from stalls 9 or lower
- Horses from stall 1 have won 5 of the last 16 runnings
- Horses from stalls 1 (4) or 7 (2) or 9 (2) have won 8 of the last 12
2022 Sun Chariot Stakes: Latest Betting & Key Runners
See below the latest betting ahead of the Newmarket 2022 Sun Chariot Stakes on Saturday 1st October.
|Sun Chariot Stakes Horse||Latest Odds||Bookmaker|
|BY ALL MEANS||40/1|
All odds correct as of 09:01 BST on Sat 1 Oct and subject to change
Watch Saffron Beach Winning The 2021 Sun Chariot Stakes Again
Newmarket Race Times and Names | Saturday 1st Oct 2022
- 1:31 – British EBF Premier Fillies’ Handicap Cl2 (3yo+ 0-105) 1m2f ITV
- 2:06 – £150,000 Tattersalls October Auction Stakes (GBB Race) Cl2 (2yo) 6f ITV
- 2:42 – Royal Bahrain Sun Chariot Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series) Cl1 (3yo+) 1m ITV
- 3:17 – Prestige Vehicles British EBF Maiden Stakes (GBB Race) Cl4 (2yo) 1m RTV
- 3:52 – Discover Newmarket Maiden Stakes (GBB Race) Cl4 (2yo) 7f RTV
- 4:27 – British Stallion Studs EBF Premier Fillies’ Handicap Cl2 (3yo+ 0-105) 1m4f RTV
- 5:02 – Racing TV Fillies’ Handicap Cl3 (3yo+ 0-90) 7f RTV
Already Have Accounts With Our Featured Bookies? Here Are 10 Up-and-Coming Bookmakers With Cracking Free Bets
See below our select list of some of the best horse racing betting sites – but totally trusted bookmakers, that will also have prices ahead of today’s horse racing this week. Plus, best of all, they ALL also have ‘must-see’ free bet sign-up offers to take advantage of and by joining this will give you a wider range of bookmakers so you can get the best value when placing your horse racing bets.