Use our 2023 Midlands Grand National trends to help you find the winner of Saturday’s big Uttoxeter race. You can use the key Midlands National stats to whittle down the runners and find the best profile of past winners.
Best Midlands National Bookmaker Offers
Midlands Grand National Trends to Help You Find The Winners
Many standout Midlands Grand National trends below to help narrow down the 17 runners. Use these to help find the best profile of past winners as in these big handicaps, history can often repeat itself.
We also had the Welsh National over Christmas but this is the first of the big staying races as we build-up to the Aintree Grand National on April 15th.
Staged at Uttoxeter racecourse, the Midlands National is run over a trip of 4m2f, so it goes without saying stamina is a must-have.
Let’s look at some of the main Uttoxeter stats in a big more detail.
What Date & Time Is The 2023 Midlands Grand National ?
📅Time/Date: 3:00pm (Saturday 18th March 2023)
💰 Purse/Winner: £84,405
📺 TV: ITV4 / SkySports Racing
89% Of the Last 19 Midlands National Winners Aged 9 Or Younger
First up is the age trend as 17 of the last 19 Midlands National winners were aged 9 or younger. This will be a plus, for several, but of the 17 runners it still knocks a fair few out.
Including some fancied ones too – Iwilldoit, The Galloping Bear, The Two Amigos, D’Jango and Max Dynamo. While past winners Time To Get Up (2021) and Truckers Lodge (2020) also fall down here being 10 and 11 year-olds.
Make 10st-12lbs the Midlands National Weight Cut-Off Point
Being a handicap, the weight is always key to look at too and in recent years it’s been those lower down the card that have fared best. Since 1999, we’ve only seen two winners carry 11st or more to victory.
While 17 of the last 19 winners carried 10st 12lbs or less and we can take that stat a bit further with 68% of the last 19 winners actually having 10st 10lbs or less.
RELATED: Free Horse Racing Lucky 15 Tips for Today
Having Run in The Last 8 Weeks Is Important
Next up is to look for a fairly recent run from your fancy. Having been on the track within the last 8 weeks seems to be the best trend – so around 56 days. It’s always wise to give this trend a big of slack though with race dates carrying slightly each season. With that in mind we are going to add on another 7 days here.
The horses that have run 64 day or longer ago are Secret Reprieve, The Two Amigos & Busypark.
68% Of The Last 19 Winners Finished In The Top 3 Last Time Out
We’ve listed more trends below, but the final of our featured stats for the Midlands National is to have finished in the top three last time out. To be honest, when looking at the 17 runners, quite a few are coming here in good form – with the top 8 in the betting all running third or better last time.
We can put a line through Captain Kangaroo, Time To Get Up, Truckers Lodge, Floueur, Notachance and D’Jango though.
Midlands National Trends Tips
Overall, the horses that have the best trends profiles for the race are Guetapan Collonges, Tile Tapper, Scipion and Major Dundee
Midlands Grand National Trends to Help Find The Winner
See below our in-depth Midlands Grand National trends to help you find the best profile based on past winners of the race. Apply these Uttoxeter stats to the final runners to see which horses have the most going for them.
- 17/19 – Aged 9 or younger
- 17/19 – Had won between 1-4 times over fences before
- 17/19 – Carried 10-12 or less
- 17/19 – Had won over at least 3m (fences) before
- 15/19 – Won by an Irish bred horse
- 14/19 – Had raced within the last 8 weeks
- 13/19 – Had never run at Uttoxeter before
- 13/19 – Unplaced favourites
- 13/19 – Carried 10-10 or less
- 13/19 – Finished in the top 3 last time out
- 11/19 – Officially rated 135 or less
- 10/19 – Returned a double-figure-price in the betting
- 10/19 – Aged 7 or 8 years-old
- 10/19 – Came from the top 3 in the betting
- 6/19 – Won last time out
- 4/19 – Trained by David Pipe
- 3/19 – Won by an Irish-trained horse
- 3/19 – Winning favourites
- 9 of the last 12 winners aged 8 or 9
- The average winning SP in the last 19 runnings is 11/1
- 5 of the last 10 winners were ridden by a conditional jockey
Midlands Grand National Recent Winners
2022 – SCREAMING COLOURS (12/1)
2021 – TIME TO GET UP (3/1 fav)
2020 – TRUCKERS LODGE (6/1)
2019 – POTTERS CORNER (20/1)
2018 – REGAL FLOW (16/1)
2017 – CHASE THE SPUD (11/1)
2016 – FIREBIRD FLYER (16/1)
2015 – GOONYELLA (6/1)
2014 – GOULANES (13/2 fav)
2013 – BIG OCCASION (6/1)
Related Horse Racing Content:
- Best Horse Racing Free Bets Offers at UK Sportsbooks – Top Horse Racing Bonuses for 2023
- Top Free Horse Racing Tips & Advice for UK Betting Today
- Free Horse Racing Lucky 15 Tips for Today – Best Lucky 15 Bet Today
- Today’s Racecards – View Horse Racing Cards Today
- Horse Racing Results Today – See All Recent Race Results & Winners
- The Best Cheltenham Betting Sites for 2023
- Cheltenham Results Past & Present – See All Cheltenham Festival Results 2023
- The Best Grand National Betting Sites for 2023