The shortlist for the UEFA Best Player in Europe 2013/14 award has been revealed, with the likes of Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi all nominated in the ten-strong list from the top European leagues.
Franck Ribery, last year’s winner, has not made the cut this time around, although his four club teammates – Philipp Lahm, Arjen Robben, Thomas Muller and Manuel Neuer – leave Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich as the best represented team.
New Chelsea signing Diego Costa makes an appearnce, with the Spain striker rampant throughout the La Liga season of last. Ronaldo and Messi are obvious mentions, while the latter’s Argentina teammate Angel Di Maria makes the list on the back of plenty of strong performances for Champions League winners Real Madrid.
Colombia’s James Rodríguez is the newcomer, with the 22-year-old lighting up the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, scoring a number of superb goals and leading his team to the quarter finals of the tournament. New Barcelona striker Luis Suarez completes the list, with the 27-year-old having a sensational 2013/14 season with Premier League side Liverpool.
Here is the shortlist for the UEFA Best Player in Europe 2013/14, be sure to let me know your pick for the award in the comments below:
• Diego Costa (Spain, Club Atlético de Madrid – now at Chelsea FC)
• Ángel Di María (Argentina, Real Madrid CF)
• James Rodríguez (Colombia, AS Monaco FC)
• Philipp Lahm (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Lionel Messi (Argentina, FC Barcelona)
• Thomas Müller (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Manuel Neuer (Germany, FC Bayern München)
• Arjen Robben (Netherlands, FC Bayern München)
• Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid CF)
• Luis Suárez (Uruguay, Liverpool FC – now at FC Barcelona)