Today’s transfer rumours involve: Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Juventus, AC Milan and Bolton.
Manchester United After Bilbao Pair
Manchester United seem to be the club most linked with players in the transfer rumours every day; today they’ve been linked with half the Bilbao first team. Diario Sport had Fergie sending scouts to watch their game against Real Valladolid last week; it appears that Javi Martinez and Markel Susaeta were the players that he was interested in.
No, I haven’t heard of them either but they have played for the Spanish U21 side so they must have some level of quality; and as I keep bringing up, Fergie is pretty good at spotting decent young talent. Those two players were not the only ones though- Manchester United were also linked with Fernando Llorente, Andoni Iraola and Fernando Amorebieta, other Bilbao youngsters.
Chelsea’s Drogba Now Wants Juventus
If you read SoccerLens regularly you’ll know about the controversial article about Drogba ‘Whoring’ himself out (not my words :D); the striker of course said he would leave Chelsea even if Kaka and Ronaldinho came to the club, yet this was followed by a statement saying the complete opposite a few days later. I’m not saying what might have made Drogba change his mind, but I’m sure it is a very valid reason ($$$$$$$).
Anyways, Drogba appears to be still looking for a club; today’s papers have him linked with Juventus. This is not a baseless rumour though, as quite a few of them are these days- the quotes came from his agent, Etienne Mendy. Mendy said: “It’s no secret that Didier likes Milan a lot as he jets off there whenever he gets some time off, but we can’t discount the other big Italian side Juventus”. Chelsea fans will be pretty happy, I suppose, as their club appears to be falling apart.
Arsenal Linked with Modric and Di Maria- AGAIN!
Arsenal has been yet again linked with the two wingers they were in the summer; that is Luka Modric, of Dinamo Zagreb and Angel Di Maria, currently with Benfica. Arsenal were supposed to be odds-on favourites to sign Di Maria before he opted for first team football at Benfica; while they bought in Modric’s strike partner Eduardo da Silva in the summer.
Despite Di Maria having signed a five year deal to stay at Benfica, press reports have him moving to the Emirates Stadium as early as next July. Modric on the other hand has been linked to Arsenal numerous times, and as he has an almost telepathic understanding with Eduardo he could be a good move for the club.
Arsenal have looked light on the wings; with Eboue failing to impress so far while Rosicky is constantly out and Walcott may be used up front. Although Modric primarily plays as an attacking midfielder he is comfortable on the wing, and would be an excellent addition to the squad if the Gunners signed him this January.
Tottenham tracking Michael Kightly
The Manchester United fans amongst you will be familiar with the name of Michael Kightly- the player was famously linked with the Red Devils a few months ago after impressing at Wolves. Kightly had been playing non league football just a year ago, so this would be a tremendous rise should he move to the Premier League; Tottenham look to continue their approach of buying young English players.
Despite Kightly signing a four year deal with Wolves in June, should his performances stay the same it is likely he will be making the move up a league sooner rather than later, and with the likes of Everton, Aston Villa and Bolton all rumoured to be interested at the time there will be a fierce battle for his signature.
Bolton’s Anelka to Milan?
Nicolas Anelka has been linked with all the top four clubs in the Premiership at one point or another during the season, especially after his almost daily outbursts about how he wants to leave struggling Bolton. It seems that Anelka is tired of playing at a club currently bottom of the table and would like to move to a team matching his ambitions; AC Milan may be able to do that.
Milan has still not properly replaced Shevchenko and would be willing to pay decent money for Anelka- who would get his wish of playing in the Champions League fulfilled. AC Milan of course won the Champions League last year and will hope to do so again; with possible World Player of the Year Kaka in their ranks they will always have a good chance of doing so. Anelka would look slightly weird playing in the red and black of the Rossoneri, but a player of his quality would boost the team; and with the January transfer window nearing a quick move could be in order.
- Tottenham Hotspur target Blackburn boss Mark Hughes to replace under fire Martin Jol. Considering Blackburn are doing a lot, lot better than Spurs, can’t see why he’d move.
- Chelsea and Real Madrid to ‘battle’ it out for two Brazilian starlets; Corinthians attacking player Lulinha and Flamengo striker Renato are the players linked.
- Arsenal’s Gilberto linked with a move to Italy; this time it’s Juventus. He won’t be off in January, but will be gone in the summer.
- Palermo coach tells Manchester City to f**k off in their quest to sign Amauri and Bresciano; fine, he didn’t exactly say those words but the statement was a clear message to the Eastlands side. Colantuono said (in jest), “Manchester City want Amauri? First they wanted Mark Bresciano, now him, they should probably just send us a shopping list!”
- Fiorentina want to sign Sissoko; Liverpool of course have about 20,000 defensive central midfielders so a move may be in order for the player, who has looked good in patches.
- Manchester City go striker mad; they’ve been linked with a 14 million pound move for Lyon’s Karim Benzema.
- Tottenham back in for Juan Roman Riquelme, who is unwanted at Villareal; how well Riquelme would cope with the pace of the Premiership is another matter altogether.