Capello’s sudden move from Juventus to Real Madrid had always hinted at him bringing a few Juventus players to Real Madrid, and now it’s getting clear who Capello wants.
Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Emerson are all on Real Madrid’s hitlist, and while they sport a combined age of 31, they will undoubtedly get 3-year deals and especially for Cannavaro, Madird will have to pay quite a lot of money.
Not that it will matter – Calderon announced a transfer kitty of 70 million pounds, and that should be enough, like Calderon said, to bring in 6 to 7 new players. Madrid need strengthening in defence and in central midfield, and as part of the rebuilding effort Madrid is targetting the following players:
- Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Emerson from Juve
- Fabregas from Arsenal (possibly Ashley Cole as well)
- Kaka from Milan
- Robben from Chelsea (who will possibly get Roberto Carlos in return)
- Ribery from Marseille (backup in case Robben doesn’t come)
- Heinze from Manchester United (in case Ashley Cole doesnt come)
- Ronaldo from Manchester United (because he’s hell bent on going there)
- Ruud van Nistelrooy from Manchester United (if United don’t swap him for Hargreaves or don’t decide to keep him)
Should these clubs be concerned? Very much so. The Madrid allure may seem dead, but realise that a lot of the players who are targeted either know Capello (Juve contingent) or grew up admiring Real Madrid as a club to play in (everyone else except RVN and Heinze).
Predag Mijatovic, Real Madrid’s sporting director, has said that he will start talking to all these clubs on Thursday (July 13th). Whatever happens in the next 6 weeks, Madrid will be a team to watch next season.