As part of our 2006/2007 Premiership season-end review, here’s a look at how Newcastle United’s season went. Read up, then offer your own advice on how Newcastle United can improve this summer.
- Pre-season expectations: A storming finish last season meant that Newcastle were always going to be pushing for a top-6 finish, and they definitely had the players to do so (although Owen was out injured).
- Season evaluation: Injuries plagued Newcastle but team spirit and application on the pitch weren’t there either, and the club suffered as a result.
- The Big Negative: The surprising ease with which Newcastle lost their away games.
- The Big Positive: Getting Big Sam in – the proposed Mike Ashley takeover is a big bonus, but Sam Allardyce was an excellent piece of business by Newcastle.
- Summer Priority: Shore up the defence and keep hold of the star players (Owen, Martins, Given, Taylor, Dyer, Milner).
Newcastle United massively under-performed this season and the fans have every right to be disappointed. Big Sam can ‘turn it around’ though, and with the stadium expansion and the takeover the future looks bright for Newcastle.
Now it’s your turn: How do you think Newcastle United can improve this summer?
- The complete list for the Premiership 2006/2007 season reviews.
- Do you have what it takes to be a football manager?