A final field of 10 horses are among the 2022 Stayers Hurdle odds and betting for the 3m Grade 1 Cheltenham Festival contest on Thursday, 17 March. Half the field are Irish raiders. Former ante post favourites Klassical Dream and Champ suffered damaging defeats in their final prep runs.
Top Five Cheltenham Betting Sites for Stayers Hurdle Odds
These are our five best Cheltenham betting sites for the Stayers Hurdle odds at the Festival this year:
- Fitzdares – Bet £30 & Get a £30 Free Bet
- BetUK – Bet £10 & Get a £50 Free Bet
- The Pools– Bet £10 & Get a £20 Free Bet
- BoyleSports – Bet £10 & Get a £40 Free Bet
- Virgin Bet – Bet £10 & Get a £20 Free Bet
Latest Stayers Hurdle Odds & Betting Show
All odds correct as of 13:45 GMT on Tuesday, 15 March but subject to change
Klassical Dream and Champ Need to Bounce Back
The Emerald Isle has only produced four Stayers Hurdle winners (formerly the World Hurdle) since 2005. However, those successes have all come since 2013. Willie Mullins relies on just two of his even initial entries.
Heading those is still Klassical Dream (7/2 from 11/4). A ready winner of the 2019 Supreme Novices Hurdle as past Cheltenham results indicate, the eight-year-old goes well fresh but lost his unbeaten record over this longer trip with a disappointing fourth in the Galmoy Hurdle at Gowran Park.
Mullins landed the Stayers Hurdle with Nichols Canyon and Penhill, who also didn’t take much racing. Following victories in the Punchestown Champion Stayers and Leopardstown Christmas Hurdle, it was easy to see why horse racing betting sites made Klassical Dream the favourite. The bookies doubled his Stayers Hurdle odds in places following such a tame effort but defections mean the price has contracted.
2020 RSA Chase hero Champ (now 5/1 from 6/1) couldn’t build on his gallant Long Walk success at Ascot for trainer Nicky Henderson and owner JP McManus when Emma Lavell stable star Paisley Park (7/1 from 33/1) reversed that form in the Cleeve Hurdle.
Last year’s Stayers Hurdle winner Flooring Porter is now the 3/1 favourite (from 11/2) and one of two engaged by trainer Gavin Cromwell. Champ has been scratched from the Gold Cup odds and market, though, so remains over hurdles.
Hobbs going right on Thyme Hill to Cheltenham, Sporting John gone
Philip Hobbs now has only runner in the Cheltenham betting here. Thyme Hill (4/1 from 13/2) missed the Festival last year and chased home Champ at Ascot on his only UK start before Stayers Hurdle entries came out. Hobbs has since confirmed that Thyme Hill, fourth in the 2020 Albert Bartlett, will go straight to the Stayers Hurdle with no prep run.
Leading Irish owner McManus also has Sporting John in training with Hobbs and he won a 3m handicap at Cheltenham earlier in the season. He was as big as 40/1 in the Stayers Hurdle odds at one stage following a subsequent defeat when a well-backed favourite at Prestbury Park.
However, despite a market move into 12/1, Sporting John was scratched at penultimate declarations. Those punters who backed him with Cheltenham non runner no bet bookmakers get their stakes back.
Royal Kahala Stayers Hurdle odds slashed after Galmoy glory
The only other notable positive market mover on the best betting sites is Klassical Dream’s Gowran conqueror Royal Kahala (now 9/1 from an initial 66/1). Peter Fahey’s mare also has an entry against her own sex at the Cheltenham Festival and will be 4lb worse off at the weights with the Mullins mount taking him on again.
Gordon Elliott has taken all of his runners out, so last year’s runner-up Sire Du Berlais won’t bid to go one better with a third Pertemps Final on his agenda. Long-time Emerald Isle rival Mullins sends Melon to the Ryanair Chase.
There was a shock race result in this two years ago, however, when Lisnagar Oscar defied Stayers Hurdle odds of 50/1 leading home 20/1 and 33/1 shots. Rebecca Curtis’s horse is now 40/1 this time around. Paul Nicholls’ McFabulous, scratched at the first forfeit stage, goes for the Coral Cup instead.
Latest 2022 Stayers Hurdle Entries in Full
- Champ (Nicky Henderson)
- Flooring Porter (Gavin Cromwell, IRE)
- Home By The Lee (Joseph O’Brien, IRE)
- Klassical Dream (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Koshari (David Christie, IRE)
- Lisnagar Oscar (Rebecca Curtis)
- Paisley Park (Emma Lavelle)
- Song For Someone (Tom Symonds)
- Thyme Hill (Philip Hobbs)
- Royal Kahala (Peter Fahey, IRE)
Stayers Hurdle Defections
- Alaphilippe (Fergal O’Brien)
- Aspire Tower (Henry De Bromhead, IRE)
- Asterion Forlonge (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Buveur D’Air (Nicky Henderson)
- Cilaos Emery (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Commander Of Fleet (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Darver Star (Gavin Cromwell, IRE)
- Garo De Juilley (Sophie Leech)
- Gentlemansgame (Mouse Morris, IRE)
- Goshen (Gary Moore)
- Grand Roi (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- McFabulous (Paul Nicholls)
- Melon (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Mr Adjudicator (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Santini (Polly Gundry)
- Sire Du Berlais (Gordon Elliott, IRE)
- Sporting John (Philip Hobbs)
- Third Wind (Hughie Morrison)
- Thomas Darby (Olly Murphy)
- Burning Victory (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- Indefatigable (Paul Webber)
- Molly Ollys Wishes (Dan Skelton)
- My Sister Sarah (Willie Mullins, IRE)
- The 2022 Cheltenham Festival schedule and race times for all four days is well worth a look
- See the Ruby Walsh tips for most Festival races
- Honeysuckle is still unbeaten, so her Champion Hurdle odds are short at Cheltenham
- Check out fancied Rachael Blackmore Cheltenham rides with six of her best this year
- Is there any opposing Shishkin in Queen Mother Champion Chase odds this year?
- Pick up info on all Nico de Boinville Cheltenham rides at the meeting
- There are also Lydia Hislop tips for the Festival
- View the best of Paul Townend Cheltenham rides for the Festival as he bids to be top jockey at the meeting again
Not sure where to bet? Have a look at our list of the best horse racing betting sites.
Interested in the Cheltenham Festival? Read all this and more
- Looking to wager on Cheltenham? Have a look here for the best Cheltenham betting sites.
- Looking for bonuses? We selected the best Cheltenham free bets.
- You can find even more promo on our dedicated Cheltenham betting offers
- Use the highest odds and earn even more, have a look at the best Cheltenham odds.
- Not sure how to bet? Follow our expert betting tips and predictions about Cheltenham.
- You can find the last Cheltenham Festival results here.
- Looking to watch horse races online? Have a look at the best live horse racing streaming sites.
Want to bet on the Gold Cup? Follow our guides
- The best Cheltenham Gold Cup betting sites are destinations for fans of horse racing
- View attractive Gold Cup offers for both new and existing customers available online
- Along similar lines, discover where there Gold Cup free bets and bonuses for the taking
- Cheltenham Gold Cup tips from our experts have helpful hints about how to bet smarter
- See the current Gold Cup best odds for every runner in the Festival feature