Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The highlight for us is a new interview that Chris Mort gives to the People newspaper. Chris talks at some length on what he plans to do in his new job at Newcastle. Looks like Chris will act as Chief Executive at the club – much like Peter Kenyon does at Chelsea – and will probably also assume the role of Chairman once Shepherd leaves.
There’s also a report in the News of the World that Ashley wants to sign a world class player this summer. We also cover that story and believe there is some credence to it.
- There is a report in the news of the World that Mike Ashley wants at least one world class signing this summer. We assume that would be dependent on what Sam thinks would work – but he may want to take Ashley up on this one. It will be difficult however to attract someone of stature to the club when we can’t offer them European competition next season. However – we think this story is not far from the truth – but first we’d like a few more good defenders brought in. 😀
- Excellent interview given to the People by new Newcastle Deputy Chairmen Chris Mort. With Sam in the lead on the playing side and Chris Mort our chief executive on the management side we have two very good communicators at the head of the club. Both seem to give excellent interviews and both are so down to earth. We also think Chris and Sam – is that a rock duo 😀 – can become an effective potent force for Newcastle in the future. Mike Ashley no doubt wants to keep in the background and seems willing to let Mort front Newcastle United from an ownership perspective. All sounds good to us – as does this interview from Chris Mort.
- Sven Eriksson talks today about transfer targets he will go after for Manchester City. They will not include David Beckham or Michael Owen. We’d still like to see David play for Newcastle on loan in January – simply because with David’s global celebrity it will help put Newcastle United on the global map of football – a goal already stated by new owner Mike Ashley. We also expect Michael to be with us next season.
- A hold up in the transfer of Craig Bellamy to West Ham. It is held up until Craig settles with Liverpool. He did not ask for a transfer and therefore is due something from Liverpool. We don’t think this will be the drawn out affair that embroiled our own Joey Barton – and expect it to be settled shortly. We still cannot believe West Ham are paying Craig â‚¤4M a year.
- We’ll also leave this in from yesterday – since we think it’s important and a really terrific gesture Mark is doing for charity.nufc.com are running a charity article and Newcastle fan Mark Allison is running 868 miles from John O’Groats to Lands End from today Saturday, averaging 24 miles daily to complete it in 36 days.This massive effort is to raise funds for the St. Benedicts Hospice in the region. This event has the backing of Her Grace the Duchess of Northumberland, patron of St. Benedict’s Hospice.We are very pleased on our Newcastle United Blog to publicize this terrific effort by Mark – on behalf of charity.If anyone would like to help Mark achieve his £10K target you can do so at this just giving site.You can check out Mark’s route (roadside support most welcome!) and keep track of his progress via daily updates online at his own markallison site.Congratulations go to the NUFC.COM Newcastle Fans site and specifically Ken Mulley-Smith for helping with this and publicizing the event – well done lads.
Best of Luck Mark – come on Newcastle fans – give him the support he deserves 😀
Newcastle Fan Mark Allison – Running for Charity
- Here’s some funny (or even stupid) football quotes for today from our own Kevin Keegan – this is to lighten up the day 😀
“Young Gareth Barry – he’s young.”
“We managed to wrong a few rights.”
“Danny Tiatto is not going to make a mistake on purpose.”
“I’ll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again.”
“One team with destiny already decided”
Brought to you by the best Newcastle United blog on the planet.