MLS All-Star vs Manchester United
Reliant Stadium, Houston
Wednesday, 28th July 2010
Manchester United’s 2010 US tour was going to be unlike any other when it was revealed that they will be facing the MLS All-Stars team at the end of the tour. United went to the US after their sponsorship deal with AON and the new United shirts became a huge hit. AON being a US based corporation, gave their people a chance to watch the Reds play.
The 18 time English league champions tasted their first defeat of the tour after back-to-back wins over Glasgow Celtic and Philadelphia Union. Kansas City Wizards won 2-1 despite playing one full half with ten men.
This will be United’s first ever trip to Houston, Texas where stars like Landon Donovan and Juan Pablo Angel with previous experience of playing against the Red Devils will form the MLS All-Stars.
Before we go any further, let me list the All-Star squad:
- GK – Donovan Ricketts (LA Galaxy)
- DF – Omer Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
- DF – Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew)
- DF – Jamison Olave (Real Salt Lake)
- MF – Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC)
- MF – Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
- MF – Marco Pappa (Chicago Fire)
- MF – Javier Morales (Real Salt Lake)
- MF – Guillermo Barros Schelotto (Columbus Crew)
- FW – Edson Buddle (LA Galaxy)
- FW – Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
- Reserves and subs: Nick Rimando (GK, Real Salt Lake), Kevin Alston (DF, New England Revolution), Jonathan Bornstein (DF, Chivas USA), Wilman Conde (DF, Chicago Fire), Heath Pearce (DF, FC Dallas), Bobby Convey (MF, San Jose Earthquakes), Sébastien Le Toux (MF, Philadelphia Union), David Ferreira (MF, FC Dallas), Brad Davis (MF, Houston Dynamo), Shalrie Joseph (MF, New England Revolution), Jeff Larentowicz (MF, Colorado Rapids), Juan Pablo Angel (FW, New York Red Bulls), Brian Ching (FW, Houston Dynamo), Jaime Moreno (FW, DC United)
The Manchester United squad will look something like this:
- Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar, Tomasz Kuszczak, Ben Amos
- Defenders: John O’Shea, Wes Brown, Rafael, Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling, Fabio, Ritchie Da Laet, Corry Evans
- Midfielders: Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Darren Fletcher, Darron Gibson, Nani, Gabriel Obertan, Tom Cleverly
- Forwards: Dimitar Berbatov, Federico Macheda, Danny Welbeck, Javier ‘Chicarito’ Hernandez, Mame Biram Diouf
Chicarito is expected to start alongside Berbatov. Macheda is also a strong contender for the start.
MLS All-Stars have had a good record against the British opposition. They have beatan Fulham 4-1, Chelsea 1-0, West Ham 3-2 but lost to Everton on penalties after a 1-1 draw.
Watch MLS All-Stars vs Manchester United Live Online
You can watch United take on All-Stars live online as well as all other matches, plus hundreds of football games from around the world. Read our live online football page for more details.