If you dream about winning a life-changing amount of money, then to turn that dream into reality you need to play in UK lottery online draws. You can win a staggering amount of cash for a relatively tiny outlay. There are plenty of options too – the UK national lottery, casino lotteries, crypto lotteries, betting on lotteries and joining an online lottery UK syndicate.
This page will completely educate you with its online lottery UK wisdom. Learn how you can enter both UK and global lotteries, and gain the best lottery sites UK bonus deals by signing up for UK lotteries.
Number One Global Crypto Lottery Site
Top Ten Lottery Sites for the UK
Play £1 & Get £5 in Free Play
- Get 20 Free Scratchcards
- Daily Draws
- 40+ Online Scratchcards
100% Deposit Match up to $/£/€300
- Bet on the world's top lottos
- US MegaMillions & PowerBall
- Play Keno 24/7
Get a £5 Free Bet
- Bet on the Irish Lotto
- Instant Wins
- Accepts PayPal
Bet £25 Get £25 + 25 Free Spins
- Dedicated Lotto Section
- Play 15 Global Lotteries
- Get the Latest Results
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free Bets
- Global Lotteries Available
- US, Canada & Oz
- Draws Every Day!
Bet £10 & Get it Back as Cash if it Loses
- Access to Six Lotteries
- UK 49s + NY Lotto
- 35 Draws per Week
Bet £5 get £20
- Pool betting enhanced dividends
- Weekly free bet deal available
- Free horse racing live streaming
Deposit £10, Get a £30 Free Bet
- Play Scratchcards
- Lost Vegas Scatchies
- Welcome bonus available
Types of UK Lotteries
Most people probably pick up their lottery ticket when they’re doing their weekly grocery shop or filling up their car. You may not be aware that there’s no need to even get off your backside to buy a lottery ticket as you can do it all online!
You also get much better access to UK lotteries all over the world online than you do when you’re out and about. Here are details of the best lottery sites UK where you can enter online, or offline if you fancy the walk!
The National Lottery in the UK has been running since 1994. If you are over 18 years of age then you can buy a lottery ticket. In the UK, you can buy a lottery ticket at thousands of retailers all over the country, from small corner shops to super-sized supermarkets. You can also buy a lottery ticket online via the UK’s national lottery website. The lotteries you can play are as follows:
A small handful of online casinos operate their own lotteries to become lottery casino sites. The details of the cost of lotteries and the prizes available differs depending upon the casino. Lotteries may take place daily, or even every few minutes. Lottery casino sites are popular all over the world (and especially in Asia and Africa) but have yet to establish any kind of popularity in the UK.
Crypto lotteries are a relatively new concept, and are tied to cryptocurrencies. In the broadest terms, crypto lotteries run just like normal UK lotteries – a ticket is purchased with a serial number and when the draw is made, the ticket with the serial number closest to the drawn serial is the winner. The main difference is that the ‘ticket’ is purchased via a cryptocurrency as opposed to pounds, dollars or euros.
One other crucial difference between ‘normal’ lotteries and crypto lotteries is that a much higher proportion of ‘ticket sales’ contribute towards the ‘jackpot’, and that the exact status of the current jackpot value is clearly visible to anyone who has an interest in it. Just like ‘normal’ UK lotteries though, a proportion of the ‘prize fund’ is donated to deserving charities.
The language of cryptocurrencies can be confusing to the newb. Tickets are actually (kind of) called ‘tokens’ and instead of buying tokens, you are investing in them. To invest in them, you need to set up a crypto wallet, which is the cryptocurrency way of opening a bank account. You then link your wallet to the site running the crypto lottery, and confirm your investment. Tokens are transfered to your wallet in exchange for cryptocurrencies (you keep your token in your crypto wallet in the same way you might keep lottery tickets in your real-world wallet). Unlike lottery tickets though, the tokens can be sold back into the main pool. The price of tokens can vary, so you may sell your tokens back for more money than you paid for them.
One further appealing aspect of crypto lotteries is that they are outside of the UKGC’s remit. This is because the tokens are not the ticket themselves – when you purchase a token you receive a free ticket. This means that you are not ‘buying’ lottery tickets, therefore you are not gambling. The UKGC cannot legally control or influence any free prize draw by law.
Lottery Betting Sites
You may have seen lottery sites in the UK offering you the option of buying tickets for draws in the USA and wondering what they are going on about. As most people know, you have to be resident in the country of origin of the lottery in order to buy a ticket for it. So, what gives?
With these types of sites you are not actually buying a lottery ticket – you are betting on the outcome of the lottery draw. if that sounds confusing, then allow us to explain.
Say you want to enter the US Mega Millions draw. Instead of choosing seven numbers and buying a ticket (which would be illegal), you ‘bet’ on those seven numbers coming out in the prize draw at a lottery betting site.
You may ask yourself what happens if you win the bet, and the Mega Millions jackpot is £250million? How does the lottery betting site cover that amount?
The lottery betting site will ‘cover’ themselves by having an agent in the country in which the lottery takes place – someone who can legally purchase a ticket. They will buy a ticket with the numbers you have bet upon. They would then (hopefully) cash in the ticket, and pay the winnings to the lottery betting site. The betting site will then pay you your winnings, as the winning amount has been covered.
You may be wondering how lottery betting sites make any money. They make their money by charging a commission on ticket sales. For example, a Mega Millions ticket in the US cost $2 (about £1.60) but when you bet on the lottery, you can expect to pay around $3.50 (£2.80) per bet.
Some lottery sites with slots make their money by being part lottery website with betting, part casino site. Choose lottery sites with slots if you like mixing up betting on lotteries with slots play.
Here are details of some of the biggest lotteries in the world that are available for you to bet upon:
You may be in a lottery syndicate at your place of work, or among your friends. You each chip in with an agreed amount, and a ticket (or, more likely, a number of tickets) are bought with the funds. The agreement is that all prizes are shared equally among the syndicate members.
Did you know that you can join lottery syndicates online too? Several sites will group you together with random people throughout the UK who wish to be part of a lottery syndicate too. You can select what type of lottery syndicate you wish to join, and how many ‘part tickets’ you wish to buy.
For example, you could join a syndicate where twenty tickets are available, buying three of them. A maximum of seventeen different people can then join this online lottery UK syndicate. Should one or more of the tickets win a prize, then the total prize fund will be split into twenty shares. As you bought three tickets, you’d win three shares of the prize fund.
Lottery syndicate sites, just like lottery betting sites, make their money by charging a commission. If the tickets cost £2 normally (say for a UK National Lottery syndicate) then you might have to end up paying £2.20 to the lottery syndicate site. Some sites may charge a commission on winnings, but most don’t.
How to Open an Account Online and Play UK Lotteries
There are several ways for you to play UK lottery online games, so we are going to go through the steps of each different type, just so that you know what to do.
Buying UK Lottery tickets online
You can only buy National Lottery tickets online at the National Lottery UK site. The same principle goes for buying Health and Postcode lottery tickets online.
- Head to the site (in this example, the UK National Lottery online UK site) and click the ‘sign in’ button. On the next step, select ‘New player? Open an account’.
- Fill in all the details that you are asked for. You will also be asked to create a password and select a security question. Once you have done all this, your account will be created.
- Add a card. You can only use Visa, MasterCard or Maestro debit cards (not credit cards) in the UK.
- Choose the game you want to buy a lottery ticket online for via the selection menu. You can pick your numbers or use the ‘lucky dip’ option. You can also run with these numbers for up to four weeks via either UK lottery live draw or both. Click ‘Play’ when you have done, then confirm your payment!
- That’s it! Watch the draw and hope that your numbers come up, or check the lottery results UK at a later date. You can also check your numbers at a UK lottery checker site.
Playing a Casino Lottery
To play a casino lottery you need to find a site that runs its own lottery and then complete your casino sign up.
- Go to the site and click on the ‘join’ button.
- Fill in all the details asked for. Once you have done this, you may have to respond to an email to confirm your account.
- Fund your account using any of the payment methods available. This could include debit cards, eWallets, bank transfers or even cryptocurrencies. Don’t forget to claim any bonuses you are entitled to.
- Head to the ‘lottery section’ and use some of your funds to pay for entry into the next available draw.
Playing a Crypto Lottery
Playing a crypto lottery can be quite confusing, as the ‘sign up’ process is quite unlike any other process mentioned previously. It is also specific to the lottery you are getting involved with. To help we are going to guide you through the ‘sign up’ process for our number one pick, Lucky Block.
- You need a crypto wallet if you do not have one. It must be BSC (Binance Smart Chain) compatible.
- Fund your wallet with BNB (Binance coins – a cryptocurrency)
- Connect your wallet to the Lucky Block exchange. The easiest way to do this is via the Pancake Swap homepage. Choose ‘Connect Wallet’ and enter your wallet address.
- Connect the Lucky Block (LBLOCK) exchange via the contact address (which is x2cD96e8C3FF6b5E01169F6E3b61D28204E7810Bb)
- Confirm the amount of BNB you wish to exchange for LBLOCKs
- Transfer your LBLOCKs into your crypto wallet
You can now download the Lucky Block app to your device, or use the Lucky Block website. When you open the app (easiest) you can connect your wallet to it. If you are using the website, you will have to go through the process manually.
Now that your wallet is linked you can enter the lottery, with tickets costing $5. The current jackpot and time of the draw will be shown via the app.
Betting on a Lottery
To bet on a lottery, you need to open an account at a lottery betting site, and here’s how to do it.
- Find your way to the site that you wish to sign up with. As usual, you are looking for a button that says ‘Register’ or ‘Join’.
- It’s form filling time again! Fill in all the details asked for. You may also need to validate your account by responding to an email.
- Make a deposit. Most lottery casino sites will allow you to pay using a debit card or even PayPal.
- Select the lottery that you want to bet upon. The best lottery sites UK will have lotteries from all over the world.
- Choose your numbers or have the site choose them for you (‘lucky dip’).
- Confirm your bet. That’s it! If your numbers come up then you should be paid automatically.
Joining an Online Lottery UK Syndicate
Many sites where you can bet on a lottery will also allow you to join a lottery syndicate. To join a site, follow the steps for ‘betting on a lottery’ above, then …
- Choose the lottery that you wish to join a syndicate for, and head to the ‘syndicate’ tab
- You can see how many shares/lines have been made available, and how many are left. For example, if there are 200 shares, then that means you will be playing 200 lines and any prizes those 200 lines generate will be shared 200 ways. If you buy 10 shares, then you will be entitled to 1/20th of the prize fund.
- Once you have decided that all is okay, click the ‘Play’ button. The money you need will be taken from your account, and you’re in the syndicate!
How to Claim a Lottery Prize
There are several ways of playing or betting on a lottery, and if your numbers come up, here is how you claim what your entitled to.
Playing a National Lottery online UK
If win when playing the national lottery online UK prizes under £500 are awarded automatically. If you’ve won over £500 but less than £30,000, then you will need to claim the prize via your online account. If you have won between £30,000 and £50,000 you will need to call the National Lottery UK prize claim line in order to claim your prize. It’s the same with prizes over £50,000, but you will need to meet a lottery agent in person to get your money.
Playing a Casino Lottery
You do not have to do anything. All prizes are paid automatically.
Playing a Crypto Lottery
Any wins will be awarded as LuckyBlock tokens and sent to your attached wallet.
Betting on a Lottery
Any wins will be sent to your lottery betting site balance. You can then withdraw if you wish to, or use the money to buy more tickets.
Joining an Online Lottery UK Syndicate
Again, any wins will be sent to your lottery syndicate balance automatically. You can withdraw as you wish, or join another syndicate using the money.
Lottery Payment Methods
There are several ways you can fund your online lottery UK accounts, as follows:
Visa and Mastercard – Most sites (except crypto lottery sites) will accept your Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card.
Direct Debit – If you plan on playing with the same UK lottery numbers for a series of draws, you may find it easier to set up a direct debit via your bank.
eWallets – Many sites (except crypto lottery sites) allow you to make payments via an eWallets. PayPal is the most popular, followed by Skrill, Neteller and ecoPayz. Note that the UK National Lottery site does not accept eWallets.
Cryptocurrencies – You will definitely need to use a cryptocurrency to play Crypto lotteries! Note, you will need a crypto wallet in order to store your cryptocurrencies and your lottery tokens. You cannot use a fiat currency (such as GBP or USD) directly at the crypto lottery site – you will need to use an exchange to swap your fiat currency for a cryptocurrencies. You then use the cryptocurrency to buy crypto lottery tokens. Note that for LuckyToken, you will need to use BNB (Binance coins) to enter the lottery.
Lottery Apps and Mobile Play
You can download apps for easier access to lottery sites, and for crypto lottery it is likely that you will 100 percent need to use an app.
Apps are much convenient than desktop sites as you can buy a lottery ticket online, play UK lottery online games, bet on a lottery or join a lottery syndicate wherever you happen to be. Feeling lucky? Then you just need to whip out your phone in order to get betting.
You can download lottery apps from the Apple App Store or Google Play. For Android, you may be able to download an app directly from the site itself. Download and install and all that mobile lottery power is instantly at your fingertips.
Even if a lottery site does not have an app, you will 100 percent be able to use the site on your phone or tablet. Just head to the site in question using your usual mobile browser. The best sites will offer mobile-optimised versions of themselves so that you have the best mobile experience possible.
Top UK Online Lottery UK Bonus and Promotion Offers
If you sign up with an online lottery UK site, then you may be able to grab yourself some kind of bonus or promotional offer. Below we outline some of the most common types of bonuses offered by such sites.
The most common type of bonus offered by online casinos and lottery sites. The deal is that whatever you make as your first deposit at a site, that deposit is match by the same amount of bonus cash. The most common match is 100 percent, but matches such as 50 and 200 percent are common too.
Note that bonus money is non-withdrawable – imagine it as site credit, if you like. With casinos any money you win may be subject to wagering requirements. This is the amount of wagering you have to do with your own money before you can cash out the winnings from any bonus cash.
Online lottery UK sites will usually give you discounts for purchasing multiple lottery tickets, or for subscribing to a lottery. For example, if you commit to buying lottery tickets to the PowerBall for ten draws in a row, the site may give you the tenth draw for free.
These deals make sense if you intend to play online UK lotteries on a more than occasional basis, as you will be paying less per week for your lottery tickets than you would if you were to buy the same tickets, week after week.
You Have to Be In it to Win It
Here are the odds of winning ‘the big one’ in each of the major lotteries mentioned above. Note that if you play these lotteries at the sites we’ve mentioned here or at any site when you can play lottery online UK games, then you can find the lottery results UK and abroad at the lottery at the site you’re playing at once the draw has taken place.
|Lottery||Country||Entry Cost*||Odds of Winning||Maximum Jackpot|
|Lotto||UK||£2||45,057,474 to 1||5th rollover|
|Thunderball||UK||£1||8,060,591 to 1||£500,000|
|EuroMillions||Europe||£2.50||139,838,160 to 1||€250million|
|Mega Millions||US||$2||302,575,350 to 1||No limit|
|Powerball||US||$2/3||292,201,338 to 1||No limit|
|EuroJackpot||Europe||€2||140,000,000 to 1||€120million|
|Mega Sena||Brazil||R$4.50+||Varies||No limit|
|El Gordo||Spain||€200/€20||10,000 to 1||€720million**|
|SuperEnalotto||Italy||€1||622,614,630 to 1||No limit|
Advantages of Online Betting v Lottery Play
The main advantage of lottery betting should be instantly apparent – when you are betting on a lottery you can play lotteries you would not, under normal circumstances, be able to enter. For example, if you are based in the UK, you will be able to play those mega lotteries in the US, plus hot lotteries in Brazil, Spain, Italy and elsewhere.
Even if you play UK lotteries online that you can buy tickets for, you are saving yourself the time and effort of walking down the street to pick up your tickets. Also, if you live in a more rural area of the country, then you’ll find it a lot easier to play the lottery online in the UK than driving out to your nearest lottery retailer.
If you really like lotteries then casino lotteries are the way to go. These have draws that take place several times per hour. No need to week for the weekly prize draw!
Remember though that lotteries can lead to issues with your gambling if you play them too often, or you playing them for any other reason than pure entertainment. You always need to take responsibility for your gambling.
Lotteries in the UK – the law
All UK lotteries are regulated by the United Kingdom Gambling Commission. The breakdown of funding for the Lotto (as example) is as follows:
- ~53% – Prize fund
- ~25% – “Good causes”
- 12% – UK Government
- 5% – Camelot (4% costs, 1% profit)
- 4% – Retailers commission
Lottery winnings in the UK are not taxed, however, if you hand some of your winnings to friends and family they will have to pay ‘gift tax’ on your payments. Income tax is also payable on interest earned from lottery winnings. These rules apply to both online and offline UK lotteries.
Lottery betting sites are also regulated by the UKGC in the UK. You do not have to pay tax on winnings from lottery betting sites, nor on winnings from crypto lotteries or playing casino lotteries.
Top 5 Tips for Playing and Betting on Lotteries
- If you play with a regular set of UK lottery numbers or on any lottery, make sure you play every draw. There is nothing worst than ‘winning’ the top jackpot the week you forgot to put your numbers on.
- Don’t get drawn by ‘hot’ or ‘cold’ numbers. The odds of any specific number being drawn does not increase if it is not drawn for a few weeks.
- Never select 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as your numbers. While it is true that this combination is as likely to be drawn as any other combination, it is the most commonly-selected choice with any lottery, so if you do win you will be sharing your jackpot with thousands of others! 7, 14, 21, 28, 35 and 42 is another common selection.
- With crypto lotteries, check your balances daily. Cryptocurrencies are very volatile. A $100 deposit in one month’s time could be worth $1,000, or $1. You could win big investing in lottery tokens even if you never win the jackpot!
- If you do win a lot of money on a lottery, seek the advice of a financial adviser immediately.
We hope this page has helped educate you on online lottery UK play – national lotteries, playing lotteries online, playing casino lotteries, betting on lotteries and even playing crypto lotteries.
Why not review our page and see which option is best for you? Or try a little of each until you find the lottery option that suits you the best? You can of all go for more than one, and you could also of course become a complete lottery all-rounder!
Don’t forget that it could be you when you play or bet on online lotteries, but always remember to play UK lotteries responsibly.
Number One Global Crypto Lottery Site
- Betfred UK 🥇 (9.7 / 10 Points)
- The Pools UK 🥈 (9.7 / 10 Points)
- Tote UK 🥉 (9.5 / 10 Points)
- BoyleSports UK (9.4 / 10 Points)
- William Hill UK (9.3 / 10 Points)
- Parimatch UK (9.3 / 10 Points)