The former Aston Villa and England international striker believes that although Phillips would love to stay at Leeds for the rest of his career, the West Yorkshire outfit will find it hard to turn down offers for him in the summer transfer window.
Phillips made the comments regarding the 24-year-old midfielder in the wake of English Football League chairman Rick Parry saying that if the season is not finished before July 31, then clubs face a “£200 million hole” by September, as reported by BBC Sport.
Phillips told Football Insider: “I think they would be forced to sell some of their best players but it will not be just them.
“If they were not to go up and next season was played behind closed doors it would have a huge affect.
“As we know, the supporters generate a massive income for football clubs so it will have a knock-on effect and that will ultimately lead to players wanting to leave and perhaps having to leave.
“I think Kalvin Phillips will be top of that list. Although he said he would love to play for Leeds for the rest of his career if one of the big boys came knocking with a big bid I am not sure Leeds would be able to turn it down.”
Phillips have scored one goal and provided two assists in 31 Championship appearances for Leeds so far this season, according to WhoScored.
During the 2018-19 campaign, the Englishman scored one goal and provided three assists in 44 league games for Marcelo Bielsa’s side, according to WhoScored.
Football in England is suspended at the moment due to the global health crisis, and it remains to be seen if and when the season gets back underway.
Leeds are at the top of the Championship table at the moment with 71 points from 37 matches, a point clear of second-placed West Bromwich Albion and as many as seven points ahead of third-placed Fulham.