A look at the more interesting headlines this morning:
1. After yesterday’s boo-fest in Barcelona, Macca asks the fans to get behind the team. It’s a shame that he actually has to ‘ask’ them that. Read more about my thoughts on this here, and Hargreaves complains about Andorran tactics as well.
2. Maradona is in hospital again. A heavy price to pay for genius, what?
3. Laughably, UEFA have reduced the sentences issued to the players involved in the Valencia-Inter brawl.
4. Ronaldinho’s agent has said that Ronny’s future will become clear in the next couple of weeks. He categorically denies that Inter would be interested in Ronaldinho, but refused to rule out Milan. Chances are the Ronaldinho will stay and the thing is in Barcelona’s hands at the moment.
5. A host of Arsenal-related news:
– Cesc Fabregas, who has the habit of saying smart things, says that players need a summer break to recharge.
– Reyes could be on his way back to Arsenal from Real Madrid. A reception that can’t be missed if that happens.
“Gilberto is under contract, we have had no offer so the subject is closed.
“In the Italian newspapers they talk about him, the German newspapers talk about [Jens] Lehmann, the Spanish newspapers talk about [Julio] Baptista and the Swedish papers talk about [Freddie] Ljungberg. I simply can not control all that.”
Wenger fails to note that the players he’s lumping Gilberto with are players whose status at Arsenal is under question.
6. Roeder wants to clear the dead-wood from Newcastle. Good on him, it’s about time, hopefully something good will come out of it. Soccerlens discussion on the Newcastle summer sale here.
7. Wouldn’t it be interesting to see Torsten Frings play in the Premiership? I imagine that Tottenham could use him in midfield. Bremen are trying to get him to extend his contract, as things stand. Soccerlens discussion on “Frings for Tottenham” here.