Tonight Real Madrid head to the Calderon where they face their capital neighbors – Atletico Madrid – for the 4th time this season already. Atletico won 2 and drew 1 of the first 3 matches played this season already. These 2 teams have also met 7 times during the calendar year of 2014 with the record standing at 3 wins for Real, 2 draws, and 2 wins for Atletico, although the reigning European champions have failed to win any of the last 3 Madrid Derbies.
The match will carry even more significance than usual because of a few things surrounding it, mainly the return of the prodigal son, Fernando Torres. Coach Diego Simeone has confirmed that the former Liverpool, Chelsea, and Milan striker will start tonight vs Real after having some training sessions and seemingly impressing the coaching staff, though only time will tell if the decision was a technical or emotional one. This match is also important as Real look to bounce back after losing for the first time in over 3 months last weekend at Valencia while Atletico look to get a good result before traveling to face Barcelona at the Camp Nou in the weekend. They then have to face Real in the return leg at the Santiago Bernabeu, a tough schedule indeed.
Below are some statistics about tonight’s Copa Madrid Derby:
- Real Madrid have won each of their last 10 CDR matches.
- Atletico have lost just 2 two-legged knockout ties with Diego Simeone.
- The last time these 2 teams met in the CDR, Real won the tie 5-0.
- Cristiano had directly contributed to 23 goals in his 26 matches in the CDR.
- However, under Ancelotti, Jese Rodriguez is the top scorer in the CDR.
- Atletico have won just 2 of the last 7 Madrid Derbies in all competitions.
- Atletico have failed to score in just 2 of the last 10 Madrid Derbies.
- Benzema has scored just 2 goals from 16 matches vs Atletico.
- Cristiano, however, has scored 14 goals in 17 matches vs them.
- Cristiano has scored 7 goals at the Calderon, including a hatrick (2011/12).
- Real have conceded just 2 goals in their last 11 CDR matches.
- Real Madrid have at least reached the final of the CDR in 3 of the last 4 seasons.
- Real and Atletico have already combined to score 14 goals in the first round of the CDR this season.
- Real Madrid are undefeated in their last 7 away matches in the CDR.
- Torres has played 9 matches vs Real without winning a single one (4 draws, 5 losses).
- Atletico have won just one of their last 17 matches vs Real at the Calderon.
- Tonight will be the 90th game for Carlo Ancelotti with Real Madrid.
- Real Madrid have scored 50 goals in 17 matches away from home this season.
- Real Madrid’s BBC alone have scored more goals than Atletico Madrid this season in all competitions.
- Atletico have won 10 of their 13 home matches in 2014/15.
- There has been 17 two-legged ties in the CDR between Real and Atletico with Real Madrid winning 10 of those.
- Atletico have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 4 matches.
- Real Madrid have lost just 1 of their last 17 CDR matches.
- Real Madrid have won 9 consecutive two-legged CDR ties.