As part of our 2006/2007 Premiership season-end review, here’s a look at how Aston Villa’s season went. Read up, then offer your own advice on how Aston Villa can improve this summer.
- Pre-season expectations: With Martin O’Neill installed and the Randy Lerner takeover, Villa were expected to push for Europe. However, it has to be kept in mind that O’Neill had little time to bring in new players.
- Season evaluation: Aston Villa started strongly but eventually they stumbled, and while they finished outside Europe it was a close thing and the side under O’Neill has shown enough quality to give hope that with the right players, they can genuinely challenge for a Uefa Cup spot.
- The Big Negative: Lack of goals meant that Aston Villa were unable to sustain their early charge and got sucked into too many drawn games.
- The Big Positive: Martin O’Neill is here for couple of more years and is backed by money; things can only get better for Aston Villa.
- Summer Priority: To beef up the squad and bring in more experience.
Aston Villa were in a transitional season and now that Martin O’Neill has had a full year with these players and has a full summer to bring in players of his own choosing, he can build a team that is capable of challenging for Europe. That should be Villa’s target for next season.
Now it’s your turn: How do you think Aston Villa can improve this summer?
- The complete list for the Premiership 2006/2007 season reviews.
- Do you have what it takes to be a football manager?