Last month, Argentine newspaper Ole published a sensational report that created huge interest among the Manchester United fans. They claimed that United had agreed a preliminary agreement with Valencia defender Otamendi.
Ole further adds that although there hasn’t been any final agreement between both the clubs, there is an every possibility of the transfer to materialise, as the player is interested to test himself in the Premier League. Put it simply, he wants to leave the club in the summer.
Otamendi has chosen to remain silent on his future, as he simply wants to focus on the Copa America instead. Naturally, it has given more space for the media to run the rumour mill about his future.
Interestingly, Valencia press are not really perturbed with this on going saga surrounding their best player. They have been claiming all through that under no circumstances the club will sell their prized asset. And why should they? Otamendi has been their star performer this season and the club are resting their hope that the Argentine will help them mount a serious title challenge next season. Plus, Los Che can offer him the Champions League platform he dearly craves.
Here, we have to remember one thing, Valencia have slapped a €50m price tag on Otamendi. The terms are quite simple – you’ve to pay the whole money to take our prized asset. And from past experience we know, how hard it is to out-haggle Valencia from the negotiation table.
Does that mean United are ready to pay that amount for Otamendi especially after knowing they have very little hope in persuading Mats Hummels to join Old Trafford in the summer?
Spanish newspaper AS has covered a report on Otamendi today. They claim the player’s agent wants to fly in to Spain at the earliest to hold a meeting with Valencia officials. He would tell the club that his client wants to move in the summer and Premier League is an attractive destination for him. He will try to force Otamendi’s exit from Valencia, if the club remain adamant of not selling their key defender. It is not hard to fathom out where the indication lies.
At this moment, it is still unclear about the whole situation. We have to wait and see how the situation unfolds in the coming months.