Here are the major news stories associated with the Newcastle club for today – in no particular order of priority.
The news today is the Mirror is reporting we are after Darren Bent of Charlton – and we feel that can only be true if Owen and/or Martins will be leaving the club in the transfer window. David Rozehnal and agent Pavel Zika will be in Newcastle on Monday to complete a 4 year deal with the club.
- The Daily Mirror is reporting that Newcastle are after Darren Bent. We review this story and think it has to signal one of our two main strikers leaving the club. Arsenal are reported to be after both Owen and Martins to replace the departing Henry.
Charlton’s Darren Bent
- We look at the upcoming thorough, objective and strategic review of the Newcastle United Football Club. Ashley is said to be unimpressed with the release clauses inserted in Owens and Martins contracts. When the review has been completed Mike may also be unimpressed in general with the running of the club. Chairman Freddy Shepherd we suggest may come under increased scrutiny by Ashley.
- News last night that David Rozehnal will be in Newcastle on Monday to sign a four year deal with the club. This transfer seems to have gone on and on and seems like it’s been like the Pavel Zika show – with agent Zika making multiple press statements every few days. But we are pleased we have captured David and think he will be an excellent center back for Newcastle in Sam’s new era.
- It appears that the Newcastle career of Alan O’Brien – the Republic of Ireland International left winger is over. It looks like Alan will be signing for Hibernian of Edinburgh. We feel that O’Brien was never given a fair chance at the club – and never had a run of games to see what he could do. We are sorry to see him leave but wish him the best for the future.
- We have the new change kit unveiled at Newcastle for next season – it looks like Manchester City’s strip to us – and Joey Barton is showing it off – we had this here yesterday and will keep it in today since it’s drawn big interest – take a look.
Joey Barton in New Change Kit
- Finally here’s a quote from Brian Clough (old big-head) – to lighten up the day
“I wouldn’t say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.”
As we get new and worthwhile Newcastle news during the rest of the day we’ll add these to this report. We’d appreciate your comments on these stories.