All English clubs mathematically assured of quarterfinals
If all mathematical favourites progress in the Champions League, the quarterfinals will consist of four sides from England, a club from Germany, one from Portugal and teams from Greece and Spain:
- When looking at the history of European competition in a two legged knockout round format, all 51 teams that won the first leg by 5-0 away progressed to the next round, making Sporting CP’s mission virtually impossible.
- Liverpool have percentage wise a 91% chance to reach the last eight following their 1-0 win at Real Madrid a fortnight ago.
- FC Porto’s 2-2 draw at Atlético Madrid made them prohibitive favourites to go through at 84%-16%.
- Panathinaikos and FC Barcelona are both favoured by 77 percentage points to 23 following 1-1 away draws at Villarreal CF and Olympique Lyon respectively.
- Manchester United hold a 67-33 edge over Internazionale as historically two thirds of the sides that earned a first leg goalless draw away from home have advanced.
- Chelsea and Arsenal are slight favourites (58-42) after securing 1-0 home wins against Juventus and AS Roma respectively.
Odds of advancing to CL quarterfinals following first leg of second round
|Date||Home team 1st leg||Away team 1st leg||Result||Home team||Away team|
|24 Feb 2009||Arsenal (ENG)||AS Roma (ITA)||1-0||58%||42%|
|24 Feb 2009||Atlético Madrid (ESP)||FC Porto (POR)||2-2||16%||84%|
|24 Feb 2009||Internazionale (ITA)||Manchester United (ENG)||0-0||33%||67%|
|24 Feb 2009||Olympique Lyon (FRA)||FC Barcelona (ESP)||1-1||23%||77%|
|25 Feb 2009||Chelsea (ENG)||Juventus (ITA)||1-0||58%||42%|
|25 Feb 2009||Real Madrid (ESP)||Liverpool (ENG)||0-1||9%||91%|
|25 Feb 2009||Sporting CP (POR)||Bayern München||0-5||0%||100%|
|25 Feb 2009||Villarreal CF (ESP)||Panathinaikos (GRE)||1-1||23%||77%|