Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has made his interest for Arsenal right-back Mathieu Debuchy public today. Garde said that he had already spoken to his compatriot Arsene Wenger over the possibility of bringing Debuchy to the club, after the player has been forced to watch from the sidelines from the Emirates for the majority of this season.
In his statement, as quoted here by the Guardian, Garde said, “I had a conversation with Arsène a few days ago about some of the players and Mathieu Debuchy was among these players. It’s too early and it won’t help me or anyone to go forward in this style to make too many more comments.”
Villa are bottom of the league with just 8 points from their 20 games thus far and have not won a single match since the opening day of the season. The club sacked Tim Sherwood in October and replaced him with Garde. Despite managing 4 draws, the Frenchman is yet to record a single victory in his 9 games in charge.
Injuries haven’t done his cause any favours whatsoever, with key players like Gabriel Agbonlahor, Alan Hutton and Carlos Sanchez and Adama Traore all currently out. Traore hobbled off with a knock in last Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Sunderland, and it was confirmed by Garde today that the winger will be sidelined until March. There is no doubt that if Villa are to stage a dramatic comeback in the next 4 months, they have to go out and make some smart signings this month.
Debuchy arrived at Arsenal from Newcastle United in the summer of 2014 and was a regular starter at first. But a long-term injury saw the door open for Hector Bellerin at right-back and the Spaniard grabbed his opportunity with both hands. As a result, Debuchy has been unable to break into the starting line-up despite being fully fit and has made just 2 appearances in the Premier League this season.
Garde refused to comment on his other transfer targets, which include Chelsea’s forgotten striker Loic Remy. Villa take on Wycombe Wanderers this week in their FA Cup Third Round tie.